We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time for day trip to Windsor?

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 51
Enough time for day trip to Windsor?

Hi--our flights changed (again!) and we will now be arriving on British Airways from Dulles at Heathrow at 10:25 am next Monday. Our next fight is at 5:50 pm on British Airways to Johannesburg. Is this enough time to do a day trip to Windsor?

Thanks so much!

Solihull
reviews: 7
1. Re: Enough time for day trip to Windsor?

"Arriving at 10:25 am" is not the same as "getting though customs and out the airport"

Also you will have check in well before 5:50 to fly to Johannesburg.

So the 7 hour "gap" could well be only say 4 hours by the time you add on the "extras" at either end.

Hardly much time to get there and see Windsor.

Edited: 7:15 am, July 04, 2012
Maryland
reviews: 51
2. Re: Enough time for day trip to Windsor?

Thanks. 4 hours sounds like enough time to walk around a bit and have lunch. We haven't ever been to Windsor so anything we see would be new to us. The important thing is to get outside to try to avoid jet lag. With two back to back red-eye flights, we would prefer to not stay at the airport the entire time. The British Airways website suggests that you need at least 6 hours to venture into London, and the BA agent that I spoke to on the phone just now said that should aim to get back to Heathrow 2 hours in advance of our flight just in case.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 101
3. Re: Enough time for day trip to Windsor?

If you don't want to see the Castle (which takes 2-3 hours) then, yes, do visit Windsor.

It is 20 minutes to Windsor by cab, and you will save money by calling a local cab company like Fivestar or Windsor Cars.

If you want to walk around, consider going along the Long Walk in Qindsor Great Park, or down by the Thames.

Mind the time though. Also, I hope your luggage is checked through.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
reviews: 42
4. Re: Enough time for day trip to Windsor?

Or Windsor Great Park, even ;-)

Qindsor is a typo, in case anyone wondered... ☺

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 101
5. Re: Enough time for day trip to Windsor?

Thanks gilligan!

Yes, "qindsor" is a typo--part of my iPad's attempt to make me look foolish on a daily basis.

Sheesh.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 153
6. Re: Enough time for day trip to Windsor?

I would say that visiting Windsor, even if it is just for a few hours is a much better idea that sitting in a dull airport! I would agree with Laura - make sure you can leave your luggage somewhere at Heathrow, or better still get it checked in all the way to South Africa and hop in a taxi (if you look on trip advisor there are various posts about local taxi companies, I always use Riviera cars - costs around £20 each way).

You'll have plenty of time to stroll around Windsor, perhaps grab a coffee/light lunch before heading back to the airport. Don't forget that you can also easily walk over the river into Eton.

Have a fab time!

7. Re: Enough time for day trip to Windsor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, July 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Windsor