We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor Castle: Entry ticket and taxi questions

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hsmythe
Windsor Castle: Entry ticket and taxi questions

Next Monday I plan to attend Evensong at St George's Chapel, and then I'll return to Windsor Castle the next morning as a regular visitor to see the sights. After this I plan to return directly to Heathrow by taxi for my return flight to the US. I would appreciate some help with a few questions:

# 1: I understand the Castle opens at 0945; does the Castle visitor center open earlier than this to sell tickets ? How early should I arrive (on a Tuesday in November) to obtain my entry ticket as expeditiously as possible ?

# 2: From my research, I believe there is a taxi rank very near the Castle visitor center. If I do not book a taxi in advance, will I be able to obtain a reasonable taxi fare to Heathrow (i.e. around the 20-25 GBP I've seen mentioned here for the Windsor Cars and Five Star companies), or will all the taxis in the rank demand some extortionate fare like I've seen described by Rick Steves and others for the taxi rank at Heathrow for transport to Windsor ?

Many thanks.

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
1. Re: Windsor Castle: Entry ticket and taxi questions

Hi,

I'll answer the second part of your question. Yes, there is a taxi rank outside the Castle but you could take a mini cab to the airport for 16 or 17 UK Sterling. I'll PM the numbers to you.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 126
2. Re: Windsor Castle: Entry ticket and taxi questions

One worry I have from reading your question; are you planning on having luggage with you before you visit Windsor Castle? The reason I ask is that many travelers have been in this conundrum before; Windsor Castle does not allow anything that would not fit through an airport style security scanner onto Castle grounds, and there is no place to store luggage in the Castle, or indeed anywhere in Windsor.

If you are staying the previous night in a Windsor hotel, they might hold your luggage for you after you check out, but I am not sure about that from your original post.

Here is more info on visiting Windsor. And yes, the ticket office opens at 9:45.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

Taxi Companies I have used and like are Windsor Cars and Gemini Cars. But I think you would be OK with a cab from the rank. It's only coming from Heathrow that you really get taken, as only black cabs and no others can queue there.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
reviews: 46
3. Re: Windsor Castle: Entry ticket and taxi questions

If you use taxis such as 5-star taxis or Beaumont taxis, they will store luggage for you at a price. I was chatting to a chap from Beaumont taxis a while ago, and I think he said £10, but I could be wrong on the actual amount.

Oh, and you may have to queue for the evensong. I've been outside the castle exit before now at closing time, and watched as people queued up for evensong.

Edited: 11:15 am, November 22, 2011
hsmythe
4. Re: Windsor Castle: Entry ticket and taxi questions

Thanks to all for your replies.

Luggage will not be a problem as I always travel light with just a daypack (about 1/2 the size of a typical rollaboard) and nothing else.

5. Re: Windsor Castle: Entry ticket and taxi questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, November 26, 2012