We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

Which Salisbury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wilsthire
reviews: 25
Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

Has anyone heard what the parking will be like at the Stonehenge Fire Garden Displays on 10th to 12th July 2012? From the details on the website, it sounds like you will be parking in a field. Having seem the issues the IOW Festival had a couple of weeks ago, I wonder if the same will happen here? (Seen as we've had even more rain since then!) We have booked tickets and parking, but could go to Salisbury and get the shuttle bus that is going to be

aavailable. - Just having nightmares of getting bogged down in a field all night!!!

Lincoln, United...
reviews: 26
1. Re: Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

Probably, given the current spell of unending wet weather. I'd be very wary if parking didn't have tarmac under the wheels or if they weren't organised i.e. have tractors etc. And given the location a field is probably the best you can hope for. The tarmac part of parking at Stonehenge is fairly limited. Just hope it is dry for you.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
reviews: 3
2. Re: Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

There is a bus shuttle from Salisbury City Centre - might be better to use that ! (see www.salisburyreds.co.uk/article.shtml… ).

Phil-the-Bus

Edited: 7:29 pm, July 10, 2012
Wilsthire
3. Re: Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

Hi and thanks for your comments.

We went last night. Went for the shuttle bus in the end. A bit disorganised, but it was the first night. Def. better than taking the car. Parking looked a bit boggy, and I expect it to only get worse for tonight and tomorrow.

Very good show though, and the you could actual walk between the stones, which made it a bit special. A little disappointing with the food stalls. It clearly says on the website that you are not allowed to bring food or picnics, as there would be caterers there. - All we found was a sweet stall, and two hot food stands, both of which were swamped with customers, as you'd expect.

Nice way to start off the celebrations in Salisbury for the Torch relay though.

Hope it stays dry for those going tonight and tomorow......

Scarborough, Maine
reviews: 39
4. Re: Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

We were there last night and parked in the field. It was well organized and we had no issues with excessive wetness or muddiness for walking or driving. The biggest issue was that there is a very long walk to Stonehenge from the field--a good 1/2 mile or more depending on where you ended up parking. Also, there are no toilets anywhere except in the ticketed area by the stones.

That said, absolutely do not miss this event. The fire displays are absolutely gorgeous and being able to walk within the stones was magical.

Wiltshire, England
reviews: 42
5. Re: Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

Last night's was cancelled due to the appalling weather. What a shame.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
6. Re: Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

That's a shame. We were there on Tuesday evening. The field was fine for parking in. We'd had a pleasant dinner en route so didn't need to try out the hog roast or sweets!

Yes, I thought they should have had loos at the car park end too. But the evening was very enjoyable although it ended up being a very late night. Wonder if they'll do something similar another year?

Wiltshire, England
7. Re: Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

Maybe - but it's all part of the 2012 thing. Maybe they'll do it again when the new visitor centre etc is finished.

Salisbury
reviews: 53
8. Re: Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

Lets hope they don't do it again. Lot of (fortunately) superficial damage to the grass around the monument, but hopefully not too much damage to the archaeology underneath. It cheapened Stonehenge. Ironic that visitors inside the stones cannot amongst other things have any naked flames!

Wilsthire
9. Re: Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

I doubt that a few thousand people walking with care and respect around stones will cause as much 'archaeology damage' to the ground underneath than the rebuilding of them in the early 1920's did.

Personally, I think it was a great evening, & did not 'cheapen' the stones at all. Everyone I have spoken to about it says it looked fantastic. I feel so sorry for those who missed it on the Thursday.

10. Re: Stonehenge Fire Garden July 12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 20, 2013