We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salisbury Hotels

Which Salisbury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whitby, ON
reviews: 10
Salisbury Hotels

My family and I are planning a trip to England & Scotland next summer. We plan on renting a car to get around and we prefer to avoid the larger cities if possible - since this is our first trip there.

We are thinking that it might be a good idea to stay in Salisbury and take the train into London and then go to Stonehenge the next day. Does that sound do-able?

Also, can anyone recommend a reasonable family hotel where we can stay in Salisbury?

Thanks for your help!

Take care,

Donna

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
reviews: 48
1. Re: Salisbury Hotels

If you are in Salisbury, then Stonehenge is only about 20 minutes away by car. You wouldn't want to journey an hour into London to then journey all the way back down again to Stonehenge (which isn't easily accessible by public transport, and you'd have to get to ummm... Salisbury first!)

Sorry; I live less than an hour away, so don't really know what the hotels are like. Now restaurants... I'm working my way through, LOL!

Oh hang on - are you thinking of a day trip TO London from Salisbury?

Edited: 4:06 pm, August 09, 2010
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
reviews: 48
2. Re: Salisbury Hotels

Where will you be coming from before Salisbury?

Whitby, ON
3. Re: Salisbury Hotels

We will be coming from York - where we will be staying with a friend. Since we don't want to drive into London, we thought that perhaps it would be a good idea to stay farther away from London. We could stay in Salisbury then travel into London for a day, stay overnight again and then drive to Stonehenge. Do you think that would be a good plan?

Thanks so much for your help!

Donna

London, United...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Salisbury Hotels

I'm very fond of the Red Lion in Milford Street. Try to get a room that's not on the street, of course.

UK
reviews: 89
5. Re: Salisbury Hotels

I think it depends what your plans are, which isn't clear at all, at least to me !

Your journey to London for example, is that for just one day, which seems OK, or would this be for several days and Stonehenge is your base for visiting London with a side trip as well to Stonehenge? (NOT a good idea IMO).

There is a bus from Salisbury train station which goes to and from Stonehenge. If Stonehenge would be your only reason for renting a car once in Salisbury, then use the bus, however there are lots of other places in the vicinity you could also visit with a car, would you be travelling in the vicinity to sightsee? In that case, driving to Stohenege would work well.

Finally, what are your plans after Stonehenge, is that the end of your vacation so the car would anyway be useful for getting back to the airport, or are there more places you would visit or or or ...??

Edited: 3:42 am, August 10, 2010
Whitby, ON
6. Re: Salisbury Hotels

I'm so sorry for not being very clear. Let me start again...

We will be arriving in Manchester from Canada next July and will be staying in York for a few days with a friend. We will be renting a car to drive from York to Salisbury (or somewhere as a base, that is outside of London). We want to visit London, but just do a one day tour of the "hot spots" since it's our first time and while we're in the south, we want to visit Stonehenge as well. I thought that perhaps Salibury would be a good base between the two. We could take the train to London and we can drive to Stonehenge. After Stonehenge, we will return to York for a few more days and then we are going to tour around Scotland. We thought that renting a car would be the cheapest way for 4 people to get around.

I hope that makes more sense. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, Nick!

Donna

UK
reviews: 89
7. Re: Salisbury Hotels

So that seems pretty straightforward and a reasonable thing to do as long as you are determined to visit Stonehenge.

Personally I wouldn't bother going that distance for an hours sightsee at Stonehenge. From York I'd either day trip or overnight (by train in both cases) to London.

London, United...
8. Re: Salisbury Hotels

Trains from Salisbury to London (Waterloo station) run every 30 mins most of the time, and take about 1.5 hours for the journey. The railway station is on the edge of the city, but as it's such a small place that's only about 15 mins walk from, say, the Red Lion.

I think it's a perfectly good idea. I know people who commute from Salisbury to London for work, and if they can do that (including going out for a drink or meal in London after work), I'm sure it's fine for a day trip. My mother still lives just outside Salisbury, and she sometimes comes up to London by train for us to have a day out together.

Do check before travelling at a weekend whether there are planned engineering works - it can take the gloss off a nice day out to have to change to bus for Basingstoke to Woking strecth, or similar. They do only affect about 1 weekend in 5.

If there are no engineering works at the weekend, it's good to know that you can upgrade to first class for an extra £5 each way - you just sit in first class with your standard class ticket, and tell the ticket inspector you want to pay the extra £5 for the upgrade. Only at weekends though - during the week you can only travel in first class if you have bought a first class ticket before you get on (or they expect you to leave your firstborn, or two limbs, in payment). For me, first class isn't worth it at the weekday rates, but I always do it for my fortnightly Saturday journeys back from my mother.

Whitby, ON
9. Re: Salisbury Hotels

Nick, your train advice will definitely come in handy. How much is a regular fair, say from Salisbury? I'm fairly sure we will be travelling during the week to keep the hotel costs down.

Joe, is Stonehenge not worth seeing?

Thanks very much, Nick and Joe!

Take care,

Donna

London, United...
10. Re: Salisbury Hotels

Standard class return fare per adult is £63.60 if you arrive in London before 10:00, or £36.40 (occasionally £31.10) for a day return if you arrive in London after 10:00 (or anytime at weekends).

It's the same fare whether you book advance or buy the ticket on the day.

If I can chip in on the Stonehnge question ... I think Stonehenge is only worth the trip if you have made some effort beforehand to understand what you are seeing and how it fits into the rest of prehistroic "sacred landscape" there - the Avenue, the other sites on the plain, and so on. I find it particularly interesting to contrast it with the Avebury/Silbury/West Kennet complex a little further away, which is possibly (probably) from a different local group, with which the Stonehenge/Woodhenge/Durrington Walls society (if it were one) might have had contact.

If you just turn up and look, you're seeing a bunch of stones in a fenced-off field, next to a busy road. Probably in the rain.

Edited: 6:45 pm, August 10, 2010