We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with car hire & whether this is too ambitious of a plan

Which Wiltshire hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Maine
reviews: 4
Help with car hire & whether this is too ambitious of a plan

Hello

We will be in London for 4 days in May. Our plan is use our remaining 10 days poking our way towards Cornwall via Dorset. We'd like to pick up a car outside of London and were thinking of taking the train to Salisbury and picking up a car there so that we could visit Stonehenge and other sights and make our way to a reservation that night in Weymouth.

At the end of our trip we would return the car to Salisbury, stay overnight and hopefully get an early enough train that would allow us to get to Heathrow by around 10 am?

My questions is whether we are too ambitious both in picking up a car and getting to Weymouth and in getting ourselves from Salisbury to Heathrow. Comments and alternative suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank You

Devizes, United...
reviews: 309
11. Re: Help with car hire & whether this is too ambitious of a plan

Hi again

I think the Eden project is always worth a visit, I've been 3 or 4 times since it opened but it is quite an expensive day out these days, £25 per person to enter but you can easily spend the best part of a full day there. You can always combine Eden with some of the great sights and places in its area, fishing towns like Fowey and Mevagissey, and the delightful little harbour at Charlestown where you will usually find at least two square rigged sail ships in dock. Restormel castle is also close by as is Lanhydrock House.

Eden

flickr.com/photos/…

Fowey

flickr.com/photos/…

Mevagissey

flickr.com/photos/…

Charlestown

flickr.com/photos/…

Restormel castle & Lanhydrock House

flickr.com/photos/…

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
reviews: 3
12. Re: Help with car hire & whether this is too ambitious of a plan

The link to the train times is http://www.nationalrail.co.uk - you may need to put "Heathrow Bus into the "to" box to get the best information.

Phil-the-Bus

Plymouth
reviews: 27
13. Re: Help with car hire & whether this is too ambitious of a plan

Hello! May should be a nice time to visit the Eden Project, shouldn't be too crowded and the outdoor biome ie the garden should have plenty of spring flowers. If you are in that area the Lost Gardens of Heligan are well worth a visit although they are entirely outdoors whereas if it rains Eden has two indoor biomes (giant greenhouses)

Portland, Maine
reviews: 4
14. Re: Help with car hire & whether this is too ambitious of a plan

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments. I am still sorting through various routes and suggestions of the not-to-be-missed!! Our main reason for hiring a car outside of London is that we thought that it would be easier to drive on the "wrong" side of the road in more peaceful setting. I am spending the day with a map, a guidebook and your many suggestions. Feel free to keep them coming!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
reviews: 46
15. Re: Help with car hire & whether this is too ambitious of a plan

I think hiring a car at Heathrow means you're on the motorway very quickly, and that is far easier to get used to being on the correct side of the road than having to negotiate through towns and countryside when you have far more many things to remember! And opening / closing times are more generous.

Wiltshire, England
reviews: 43
16. Re: Help with car hire & whether this is too ambitious of a plan

If you're from somewhere that doesn't have roundabouts, try and get a feel for how they work before you pick up the car, wherever that may be. I have a B&B and they seem to be the most scary part of driving for our US visitors. At least you won't be getting straight off a plane and onto the M4, which many people do, and they arrive at my place somewhat frazzled!

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 36
17. Re: Help with car hire & whether this is too ambitious of a plan

Europeans don't like automatics, we like stick-shift (they use less fuel): if you MUST have an automatic, make sure you specify that when booking the car.

I agree that hiring from Heathrow is a good idea: all you have to do is get on to the M25 and then the M3, then take the A303, which takes you straight to Stonehenge. The advantage is that you can stay the last night near Heathrow somewhere like Windsor, and don't have a worry about getting to H'row in the morning - you are 15/20 minutes away.

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 36
18. Re: Help with car hire & whether this is too ambitious of a plan

This may help with roundabouts, but remember there are no hard and fast rules !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirgrfzDRBY

19. Re: Help with car hire & whether this is too ambitious of a plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 27, 2014