We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Mere

Which Wiltshire hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sevenoaks
reviews: 21
Staying in Mere

We have booked a cottage for a week this year ( The Bothy ) just outside Mere.

Can anyone tell me what is in the village, ie pubs, restaurants, shops ?

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
reviews: 3
1. Re: Staying in Mere

To be honest, the answer is very little and as Lower Zeals is about 1.5 miles out of Mere, I hope that you are bringing a car with you !

Mere has a few pubs, a hotel, a post office and a small supermarket plus a handful of other shops, but that is about it I'm afraid. I don't know of any restaurants but I am sure that the hotel and some of the pubs do food of some sort.

Mere also has a small museum but otherwise there is very little there to keep you occupied for a whole week. On the plus side, however, Stourhead, Longleat and Shaftesbury are fairly close and Bath and Salisbury are about an hour's drive away.

P-t-B

Sevenoaks
reviews: 21
2. Re: Staying in Mere

Thanks for that . The Bothy where we are staying is just a base and we intend to travel around a lot.

It was just that we were hoping that that there was somewhere to eat locally as I do not intend to cook much !!!

The pubs will be fine.

Devizes, United...
reviews: 309
3. Re: Staying in Mere

Hi there

Here are most of the local pubs..

beerintheevening.com/pubs/…

None of these feature in the 2012 Good Beer Guide but there are some great pubs within easy driving distance like the Queen's Arms at Corton Denham, The Camelot in South Cadbury and the Red Lion in Kilmington, the best of the lot. I've had the pleasure of a few ales in all of them.

Wiltshire
4. Re: Staying in Mere

Fox and Hounds, the Green, East Knoyle. I can highly recommend this pub. Great family pub with good food and fab views.

5. Re: Staying in Mere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:27 am, February 17, 2013