We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day visit to Stratford upon Avon

Which Stratford-upon-Avon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WIsconsin
Day visit to Stratford upon Avon

My husband and I will be visiting our daughter at Oxford in a week. We have set aside one day for a visit to Stratford upon Avon. I am wondering about transportation and whether we would be able to find a return to Oxford in the evening if we took in the Royal Shakespeare Theater evening performance. Your information on this blog has already been helpful. Thank you!

Groomsport, United...
reviews: 113
1. Re: Day visit to Stratford upon Avon

There are trains at 20:37 and 23:00 only. I suppose you might just make the 23;00 depending upon finish. Otherwise it's probably an expensive taxi

Dublin, Ireland
2. Re: Day visit to Stratford upon Avon

There are regular trains from Oxford to Stratford upon Avon. The journey takes around 1hr 30mins and usually involves one change at Banbury.

There is a direct train back to Oxford from Stratford at 2300 on weekdays (the last train is much earlier at weekends) - it really depends on your chosen play's running time (you'd need to check this with the RSC) but the last train on weekends departs around 8pm.

There are also bus services but I'm not familiar with them and I think they may involve a couple of changes.

Another option would be to take in a matinee peformance on a Saturday afternoon (the last train back to Oxford on a Saturday is at 19.53). Or you could head up to Stratford late afternoon for an evening performance, stay overnight and explore the town the next day (which is what we used to do for our RSC visits when we lived in Oxford). There's quite a few nice hotels and inns within a short stroll of the RSC and many of Stratford's sights, as well as any number of good pubs and restaurants.

WIsconsin
3. Re: Day visit to Stratford upon Avon

Thank you so much for your help! I wish we were able to see a matinee but apparently there are none available on the day we are planning. (Nov.2) We also have accommodations already booked for Oxford ( and our student daughter needs to be back.) Looks like we may have to miss a theater experience unless we are willing to pay for the taxi. Sigh.... But, thanks again.

Oxfordshire
4. Re: Day visit to Stratford upon Avon

I don't understand your reaction.

The last train's 2300 on a Monday. Twelfth Night starts at 1915 and finishes at 2215.

Virtually ALL RSC evening performances are timed so the audience can make the last trains to London, Oxford and Birmingham.

Do you really believe the Arts Council would continue funding RSC plays in the back of beyond if that weren't the case?

WIsconsin
5. Re: Day visit to Stratford upon Avon

Sorry , honest mistake. :-(

6. Re: Day visit to Stratford upon Avon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 22, 2010