We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whirlwind tour

Which Stratford-upon-Avon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
U.S.
reviews: 4
whirlwind tour

Hi!

I'm going to arrive in London at @2pm on Wed 5/25 and will leave at @1pm on the following Monday 5/30. I would like to see the Salisbury International Arts Festival and Stonehenge.

The Bath International Music Festival looks semi-interesting...it may be more interesting combined with the Bath Fringe Festival and seeing Bath itself.

The other options would be to not go to Bath, going instead to Stratford upon Avon and see a performance in the evening, probably of A Midsummer Nights Dream.

So...how should I do this?????

All of the things I'm pondering:

1. I was going to just take the train myself and loop from Stratford to Bath to Salisbury. I've heard that I should try to not take the train on Sundays cuz that's when repairs are done, so I was thinking I should be back in London by Saturday night. Should I avoid taking the train on Sunday? If not, that would give me another day to travel. [I know that this leaves no time for London, but I suspect I'll be back in London another time.]

2. Buses are cheaper, but should I nevertheless take the train instead? Are trains significantly more prompt, comfortable, etc?

3. The BritRail Pass doesn't cover Bath, but it does cover Salisbury. Does it include Stratford upon Avon? That would help me make a decision between Shakespeare or Bath. Any other thoughts on that? I really want to see Stratford upon Avon, but I've heard Bath is beautiful and since I'll be nearby in Salisbury and there's the festivals which don't occur any other time (versus being able to go see shows at RSC anytime)...

4. I know that there are bus tours to all these places, but since my point is to check out the festivals and the shows, it seems that I should travel by myself. Are there "tours" or transportation options that would provide the service I want?

5. I need to make reservations at hostels and for transportation, so any quick feedback or advice would be appreciated. I'm suspecting I should just do 2 cities instead of all 3.

Thank you in advance! I just basically want a travel agent and host to arrange everything for me and give me everything I want (-:

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
reviews: 12
1. Re: whirlwind tour

That's a lot of questions!

It's not necessarily the case that the trains are a problem on Sundays. You can get maps, route planning, etc from

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

which also has information on closures etc.

Personally, I would not try to fit so much in. The places you want to visit are not really transportation hubs (apart from London), and so you risk spending most of your short break travelling.

I hope that helps a little!

David