We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newcastle to London - train or plane?

Which Newcastle upon Tyne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 2
Newcastle to London - train or plane?

What would be the fastest and most pleasant way to get to London from Newcastle. If I am correct then if I take a plane, it is about an hour flight, than maybe an hour to London from the tube. I assume I have to be at the airport one hour(is this correct?) before flight, so altogether it may take about 3 hrs.

If I take the train to Kings Cross, than it is about 3 hrs and then another 30 minutes to Leicester Square so probably about 3.5-4 hrs although I don’t know how early I have to be at the train station before it leaves (anyone know?). The train seems to make more sense and probably more enjoyable. Am I correct or am I missing something? Price is not a factor.

Thanks for the help!

Cotswolds
1. Re: Newcastle to London - train or plane?

Unless you have connecting flights at Heathrow then the train does make sense.

There is no set time to be at the station - but allow some time (10-15 minutes maybe) to find the train - maybe a bit longer if you have a ticket to pick up or buy. Train doors are locked 30 seconds before departure - but you don't want to leav it that close.

London
reviews: 37
2. Re: Newcastle to London - train or plane?

Train, without a doubt.

To save money you can buy an Advance ticket up to twelve weeks before departure, although bear in mind these are for a specific train, are expensive to amend and are not refundable should you decide not to travel (unless the service is cancelled). Sometimes First Class Advance fares are available at a bargain price and on the Newcastle - London route this includes complementary refreshments in the fare.

You can also buy Off-peak tickets, which do not tie you to a specific train and can be bought even at the time of departure. These are valid on all trains except those arriving in London before 10.08 Monday-Friday.

Super Off-peak tickets are even cheaper, but are only valid on trains arriving in London after 11.17 Monday-Friday - return Super Off-peak also have restrictions on when you can come back from London on Monday-Friday. However Super Off-peak tickets are valid on any train on Saturdays and Sundays.

Anytime tickets mean exactly that - but at prices which will make your eyes water. If you can work with the restrictions an Off-peak or Super Off-peak ticket will probably suit your needs.

And you do not need to turn up at the Station in advance, although it is wise to give yourself a few minutes to find the platform! Allow a little longer of you are buying your ticket at the Station or retrieveing it from the ticket machine.

Trains on the route are operated by East Coast, here is their website:

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk

Edited: 12:13 pm, September 12, 2012
London
reviews: 34
3. Re: Newcastle to London - train or plane?

Almost all the passengers on that flight are connecting on at Heathrow. For point to point travel between Newcastle and central London, the train is much faster and simpler.

You've underestimated the Heathrow time. From touchdown to being on the tube is another half hour minimum, and more like an hour (Heathrow is a big airport...)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
reviews: 5
4. Re: Newcastle to London - train or plane?

Kings Cross to Leicester Sq is 7 minutes on the tube, allow another 10 mins to change from mainline rail to underground.

Oxfordshire
5. Re: Newcastle to London - train or plane?

"I don’t know how early I have to be at the train station before it leaves (anyone know?)"

45 seconds if you've booked a seat. Plus about 2 minutes to find the platform unless you're a cartographic moron

15 minutes if you haven't. There's absolutely no point in arriving any earlier because, even if the train starts at Newcastle (most London-bound ones don't), you can't board any earlier. If it's coming from Edinburgh, arriving at the platform more than 5 mins before departure is pointless, unless you get off on being neurotic.

The real reason it almost always makes more sense to get the train if your final destination is central London is that you're on the train for an uninterrupted 3 hours, so you can crack through reading a novel, writing a presentation, sorting out a bunch of interconnected spreadsheets or just look at the scenery (not stellar but knocks a bunch of clouds into a cocked hat. And earth hath naught to show more fair than Durham cathedral from the East Coast line.)

If FlyBe are offering cheaper prices, though, all bets are off.

Toronto
reviews: 2
6. Re: Newcastle to London - train or plane?

Fantastic!! Thanks Everyone. Train it is!

London, England
reviews: 4
7. Re: Newcastle to London - train or plane?

When Easyjet used to fly to Stansted I often used to fly to and from Newcastle and used to find the overall journey (door to door) similar to the train. I used to base my decision on price.

It really depends where your starting and ending points are. Newcastle is a small airport and it takes little or no time to check in and get through security.

That said I'd probably take the train.

Standard class can be hellish at busy times so if you can get a cheapish first class ticket I suggest you do that as it's a very pleasurable journey then.

Yorkshire, England
reviews: 19
8. Re: Newcastle to London - train or plane?

I would agree that if price is not an issue, book first class. If you book ahead and stick to a specific train, it can be a pretty reasonable fare and you get a decent meal and drinks included in the ticket price. Enjoy the journey!

England
reviews: 67
9. Re: Newcastle to London - train or plane?

Without doubt the Train and wise to choose.

I get the impression you are familiar with London ,but just a reminder to those who have not been to the Capital and use the Tube,that Oyster Cards save a fortune and are refundable

Enjoy your trip

10. Re: Newcastle to London - train or plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, December 15, 2013