We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Weekend For My Wife - Restaurant suggestions?

Which Bury St. Edmunds hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth, England
reviews: 65
Birthday Weekend For My Wife - Restaurant suggestions?

We are spending a weekend (Fri -Mon) in Bury St Edmunds staying at The Chantry Hotel at the end of next month to celebrate my wife's birthday. Can anybody supply me with a list of suggested restaurants including a 'special' night on Saturday. We particularly like Greek, Chinese and Thai.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 25
1. Re: Birthday Weekend For My Wife - Restaurant suggestions?

I don't eat much in BSE and almost never ethnic.....but the one place I can definitely recommend is Ravenwood Hall in Rougham, just outside the town

There's a Greek place on Hatter St but I've never tried it - there are a couple of other options along this road as well

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
reviews: 52
2. Re: Birthday Weekend For My Wife - Restaurant suggestions?

Hi, Bury is my home town (although I now live 'oop north).

There's a wonderful fish restaurant (reservations essential) called Maison Bleue.

www.maisonbleue.co.uk

This is by far and away the best place ot eat in the area, but if you don't like fish it's no good!

Unfortunately I am struggling to think of anywhere else in the town where I would recommend.

Just outside (about 3 miles) is Ickworth House, with a superb Hotel and restaurant open to non-residents.

www.ickworthhotel.co.uk

Towards Newmarket is a village called Lidgate with a great pub serving Mediterranean style (mainly Spanish) food. It's called the Star Inn - sorry, can't find a website but a google brings up loads of info.

Also Theobalds in Ixworth is lovely.

www.theobaldsrestaurant.co.uk

M

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Birthday Weekend For My Wife - Restaurant suggestions?

Meant to add - if Maison Bleue appeals it is within very easy walking reach of your Hotel. A lovely walk too past some beautiful buildings (Norman Tower, Cathedral etc).

London
4. Re: Birthday Weekend For My Wife - Restaurant suggestions?

I can't believe nobody has mentioned The Angel hotel in Angel Hill, which is the very hear of Bury St Edmonds.

It is a beautiful hotel with a lovely restaurant. I spent a Valentine's weekend there and it was great.

The hotel overlooks the famous Abbey and Abbey Gardens, has a fabulous heritage and it even gets a mention in the Dickens novel "The Pickwick Papers".

You will not be disappointed. If you have a car, then you must take a 15-20 minute drive south to visit Long Melford for the wonderful antiques shops and the neighbouring Lavenham, where the Swan is a lovely place to stop for lunch.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Birthday Weekend For My Wife - Restaurant suggestions?

I agree the Angel looks beautiful (and wonderful location too), but experience with it over the years means I would hesitate to recommend it. I do hear it has had some refurbishment - was yours a recent visit?

Portsmouth, England
reviews: 65
6. Re: Birthday Weekend For My Wife - Restaurant suggestions?

Thanks for the advice everybody - will probably try the Fish restaurant on the Saturday.

7. Re: Birthday Weekend For My Wife - Restaurant suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bury St. Edmunds