We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family restaurant around the A14 (maybe a beer garden!)

Which Bury St. Edmunds hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 16
Family restaurant around the A14 (maybe a beer garden!)

Hello, we are going to Newmarket races on sat 26th july and then onto Harwich, just wondered if anybody could point us in the direction of a nice family pub around the A14 corridor.

Thanks in advance

adf

6 replies to this topic
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
reviews: 52
1. Re: Family restaurant around the A14 (maybe a beer garden!)

We've always enjoyed going to The Star at Lidgate.

http://www.lidgatestar.co.uk

Yaxley, Suffolk
reviews: 2
2. Re: Family restaurant around the A14 (maybe a beer garden!)

Are you looking for somewhere around Newmarket to go before the races or between Newmarket & Harwich after the races?

Essex
reviews: 71
3. Re: Family restaurant around the A14 (maybe a beer garden!)

Can't think of anywhere in particular, myself, but maybe you can find something here, that you like the look of??

www.greeneking.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=4

UK
reviews: 193
4. Re: Family restaurant around the A14 (maybe a beer garden!)

I can't think of anything in that area but it might be worth depending on time thinking about going into Bury St Edmunds itself as there's several pubs around, one or two near the bus station that may be suitable for families but if you are after family friendly, there is Giraffe and Frankie and Bennys, right next to a car park, they do have outside seating but possibly not a proper Gardern.

In Newmarket itself, Wetherspoons has a small Gardern, one or two pubs on the high street do have beer Garderns which seem to be aiming at being family friendly. For both cases if its before 6pm, you'd have to pay for parking. I was going to suggest a Harvester but there's none around, but there is a beefeater near Ipswich: beefeatergrill.co.uk/content/beefeater/resta… I'm just struggling to think of anything without going off road a fair way I'm afraid like for Beefeater, there may be other options like a Hungry Horse pub which are family friendly but they aren't normally close to the main road. So to get you want you may have to head a good 10-15 minutes off the main road.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 16
5. Re: Family restaurant around the A14 (maybe a beer garden!)

Sorry for the late reply (stupid laptop!) yes after the races we are heading for Harwich,we have plenty of time for the ferry so would like to stop off for tea, as stated got the kids with us so a child friendly (maybe the odd swing!) place would be better.

Would rather avoid getting too far off the beaten track (a14) though.

Once again many thanks in advance.

Yaxley, Suffolk
reviews: 2
6. Re: Family restaurant around the A14 (maybe a beer garden!)

This place would be ideal for you. It does have a beer garden but I don't know if they have slides/swings. It is very close to the A14 road and you don't have to cross over/under the A14 to get to it. Several people I know stop off there when they return from shopping in Ipswich

hungryhorse.co.uk/index.php/…crown-claydon

Reply to: Family restaurant around the A14 (maybe a beer garden!)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bury St. Edmunds