We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good family Pub for lunch

Which Bury St. Edmunds hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 29
Good family Pub for lunch

Good afternoon DE's. We will be travelling up from London to Norfolk for our summer hols end of July, and the fair town of Bury St Edmunds looks a good place to stop off for lunch, walkaround, and a little shopping. Can anyone recommend a good pub for lunch with kids (and preferably dog friendly too?). I understand there is a market on Saturdays, will parking be difficult? Thanks, EB.

5 replies to this topic
Yaxley, Suffolk
reviews: 2
1. Re: Good family Pub for lunch

Yes there is a market on Saturday's and parking right in the centre is diffcult. However you do have a large car park on the old cattle market right next to the new shopping centre. You should be able to find a space here fairly easily.

As for pubs, I always enjoyed the Linden tree which is betweeen the centre and the train station. On Angel hill near the centre you have the one bull and just past that heading away from the centre you have the Fox. There are other pubs that do food but I have not tried them so can't really comment on them

Essex
reviews: 71
2. Re: Good family Pub for lunch

I was thinking that the cafe/tea rooms in the Abbey Gardens could be a good lunch spot for you, E B, asif you get a nice day and can sit outside, there is plenty of space for the K's and D to run around and let off some steam.

However, It is some while sinceI have been there myself... I have been googling for some up to date info, and can't find any, I hope it does not mean that this pleasant place has closed.

The Angel Hotel is opposite the entrance to the Abbey Gardens, and is a nice place....

http://www.theangel.co.uk/

Bury St Edmunds
reviews: 11
3. Re: Good family Pub for lunch

Abbey Gardens is certainly a great place for a break (dogs on leads - but children can run free!). Small cafe, great play area (sand, water, climbing and swinging things), beautiful flowers, aviary and so on. Closest car park is Angel Hill, but more expensive as it's short stay - Ram Meadow is better, short walk, across Mustow Street and into the gardens (it's P4 on the map and The Fox and One Bull are nearby). Link to map:

stedmundsbury.gov.uk/leisure-and-tourism/sho…

Alternatively go to P1, multi storey, really close to town for shops (lots of independents in St Johns Street) and masses of cafes/restaurants, many with outside seating. P10 on the map is the market area (so no parking on Saturdays but loads of stalls to wander round and pick up some holiday supplies perhaps). Have fun and hope the sun shines!

Brandon Parva...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Good family Pub for lunch

The wetherspoons pub, The Corn Exchange, is a stones throw from the market place and can only be described as spectacular! Go and have a look, if only for a pint! Obviously the food is not quite Michelin star ;)

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
reviews: 57
5. Re: Good family Pub for lunch

The post is over a year old, think they will have been and gone by now!

Reply to: Good family Pub for lunch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bury St. Edmunds