We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which direction is more interesting to drive

Which Cheddar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 204
which direction is more interesting to drive

We are staying in Bath in April next year and intend to take a drive which encompasses Cheddar (to buy cheese) as well as Stonehenge and Avebury. We aren't interested enough to stop and tour the caves but the gorge looks like an interesting drive. Can someone please advise which direction gives the best views - should we drive from Bath towards Cheddar and down the gorge in the morning or drive up the gorge towards Bath in the afternoon.

13 replies to this topic
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 84
11. Re: which direction is more interesting to drive

No cheese made in cheddar? You might want to tell that to the folks at http://www.cheddargorgecheeseco.co.uk/ :) - they have a shop in the gorge, and they still cave-age the cheddar in the way it used to be made. The shop there has free samples of all the various maturities and you can decide for yourself whether or not you like it. We have been in twice, and have had good experiences with the staff being friendly there.

I like the drive down the gorge, personally, more than up. In the top section there are many stopping points where you can get out and enjoy the sights, before you get to the paid parking areas - I recommend taking advantage of those. The only free parking towards the bottom of the Gorge is for the Costa Coffee (the driveway for it is right opposite the main centre, up a bit of a hill). If you're not averse to Costa, it's not a bad spot for some views of the gorge.

I think that while you are in the area, Wells is worth a visit. They have a market there Wednesday and Saturdays and the cathedral and the lawn in front of it, is quite photogenic, as is is the Bishop's Palace with its moat. There are some nice buildings and alleyways to explore too, as well as some nice restaurants.

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 38
12. Re: which direction is more interesting to drive

That is a new development, not sure when they opened - there certainly wasn't any cheese production when I lived close by.

Good point about Wells, England's smallest city and not much visited because it isn't on a main road. And you can find out why 22 feet 2 inches is marked out in the Market Place.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 84
13. Re: which direction is more interesting to drive

Well, according to an older version of their website, in 1997 the company won the London International Cheese and Dairy competition "Gold" Award. The building they are in now is certainly new, so not sure if they were actually located there at that time. The earliest TripAdvisor review was 2007.

Certainly not saying that it's the best cheese in the area, or the cheapest (I haven't spent my time touring all the places... yet), but it has some cultural and historical significance at least.

Of the tea rooms in the Gorge I tend to enjoy Derricks further up and The Mousehole further down. I tend to be there off-peak times, though, which may make a big difference.

Reply to: which direction is more interesting to drive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cheddar
More Cheddar Topics