We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Gastro Pub

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 54
Good Gastro Pub

Can anyone recommend a cosy gastro pub in the city ctr. Going to be Bath this Friday night and looking for a nice place to eat and drink.

Many thanks

7 replies to this topic
reviews: 30
1. Re: Good Gastro Pub

Check out either the Salamander or the Hop Pole. The former is city centre and the latter a short walk away (but only 10 minutes or so). Both owned by Bath Ales so the beers are good and both do really good food.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 65
2. Re: Good Gastro Pub

I used to enjoy a good pint of Gem but the Salamander and Hop Pole went far too "gastro" for my liking (and they whacked their prices up!). I'd try and get there early if you were going to either of those two pubs as they can get really busy.

Next to the Salamander is the Raven - less "gastro" (I hate that term) and it does Pieminister Pies. It's also a free house and has a great range of real ales.

If you want "proper" pubs that do really good food then try the Pulteney Arms on Daniel Street or The Royal Oak on Summerlays Place, Pulteney Road.

Edited: 7:27 pm, December 30, 2013
Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 36
3. Re: Good Gastro Pub

Hunt around the forum, loads of suggestions on there.

The Marlborough Tavern is very popular, though a bit up itself for me.

The Chequers also has a good reputation.

For a proper pub (i.e. a place where men go to converse whilst drinking beer, there is no jukebox or gambling machine and women are welcome as long as they keep quiet and buy their round) you must visit the Star.

http://www.star-inn-bath.co.uk/

The Bell, on Walcot St, is also an excellent placer for a beer, they have live music on Sunday lunchtimes, no idea who is on this wkend.

Edited: 3:03 am, December 31, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 21
4. Re: Good Gastro Pub

Maybe this could be of help: www.bathrestaurants.co.uk/bath-gastro-pubs/. All the best for 2014!

London, United...
5. Re: Good Gastro Pub

Many thanks for all the suggestions and links.. I have a good few options to look into!

Happy new year!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 65
6. Re: Good Gastro Pub

Other options are The Trinity on Kingsmead Square and the Assembley Inn on Albert Street. They are owned by Bath's only brewery, Abbey Ales (Bath Ales is based in Warmley, Bristol) and they serve a good pint of their own Bellringer ale which I have sampled at each pub on my last two visits to Bath.

I haven't eaten in either of them - pubs are for drinking in ;-) - but they serve more traditional type pub food and are far from gastro (thank God!).

London, United...
7. Re: Good Gastro Pub

Thought I would pass on some feedback..

Did not get the chance to try them all but did try a few.

We ate at the Salamander which I really liked. Really good food and the bar was just what I had in mind. It was good to try Bath Ales as I have not seen this in London (I had the special Christmas beer which was lovely).

Also paid a visit to the Raven which is very different to the Salamander but just as good. I liked the 'small local bar' atmosphere and we stayed there for most of the night.

The day after we had an afternoon beer at the Coeur De Lion which claims to be the smallest pub in Bath. Very cosy by the fire and the staff are very friendly. Got to try the Abbey ales Bellringer here which was very good.

So many bars, so little time.. I will go back for sure!

Reply to: Good Gastro Pub
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath