We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see in Bath...limited time

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington...
reviews: 2
Must see in Bath...limited time

We are flying into London on Friday, early morning, renting a car and driving to Stonehenge and then on to Bath. We (family of 5) hope to visit the Jane Austen Center, The Roman Baths, catch a mid-day meal at an old pub, and walk around Bath. Any recommendations? Any must sees? Thank you, in advance.

warrensburg,MO
1. Re: Must see in Bath...limited time

Are you arriving after an overnight flight? Which of London's airports? If so, then I suggest heading to Bath from London via public transport. Don't be a danger to yourself and others by driving after no significant sleep. If you are on short haul from other local areas then by the time you have picked up your car (from which airport??) and driven to Stonehenge then your arrival time in Bath will be late afternoon. You may be able to squeeze in the Roman Baths or the Jane Austen Centre or you may need to fit one of them in the next day. How long have you got in Bath?

Lexington...
2. Re: Must see in Bath...limited time

We fly into Heathrow after an overnight flight. We need a car for the rest of our journey, so we need to rent one that morning. We'll be in Timsbury for the night and in Frome on Saturday night so we will only have Friday afternoon and Saturday for touring Bath. Have you any suggestions for a great pub experience for us? My children are 14, 18, and 20 and this is their first experience in England.

warrensburg,MO
3. Re: Must see in Bath...limited time

My favourite pub in Bath is The Old Green Tree, but other folk may entice you to other excellent places like The Bell or The Star.

Lexington...
4. Re: Must see in Bath...limited time

Thank you for your help! We are very excited about this trip and I have printed information about all of your suggestions - we'll decide on the fly. :-)

Bath
reviews: 6
5. Re: Must see in Bath...limited time

The Mayor's guides do a free guided walk which meets at 2pm and may be of interest. Would let you see all the main sights and a few less visited spots in a couple of hours. meeting place is close to the roman baths entrance.

Personally I would't bother with the Jane Austen centre if you only have a few hours in Bath unless you are real JA addicts.

Dublin
reviews: 8
6. Re: Must see in Bath...limited time

Just there last week must sees Roman baths, Jane Austin centre, Bath Abbey, The Circus/No 1 Royal Crescent I loved cream tea in the pump rooms but every cafe does cheaper ones lovely experience though. I just took a pic of Sally Lunns outside as looks a bit of a tourist trap and way too many queues and cramped. 3 days and I got all the main sights done. Lovely views from parade gardens/Putney bridge

florida
reviews: 1
7. Re: Must see in Bath...limited time

fran: What were your favorite dining spots, please? both pub and fine dining?

Bath, United Kingdom
8. Re: Must see in Bath...limited time

As you are short on time, I would definitely recommend going on the City Sightseeing tour bus to get an overall sense of the city. There are two routes - a city tour which stays in the centre and a "skyline" tour which goes a bit further out and has some lovely views. I believe the one ticket is valid for both tours and it is valid for 24 hours so you could get on in the afternoon then use it the next morning. Each tour lasts about an hour but you can hop on and off at any attraction you want.

The main places to visit are the Roman Baths and the Jane Austen centre.

For evening entertainment, try a play at the Theatre Royal, a show at Komedia, or a comedy guided tour with www.bizarrebath.co.uk/

More suggestions can be found here: http://visitbath.co.uk/ideas-and-inspiration

Don't know which direction you're heading in but if you ever get the chance, go to Wells. It's where they filmed Shaun of the Dead!

There are a lot of chain restaurants, particularly around the train station. A "must do" is Sally Lunn's. It's a bit touristy but the food is good and it's the home of the Bath Bun. Afternoon tea at the Pump Room is also fab. I'd recommend the Guildhall Market as well. The '50s style snack bar makes the best milkshakes! There are also some nice stalls: www.bathguildhallmarket.co.uk/

For French food, try Brasserie Blanc (I have a soft spot for Raymond Blanc!) in the Francis Hotel on Queens Square is fab and surprisingly affordable, with impeccable service, or if you like Moroccan, try Cafe du Globe which is very atmospheric.

Cafe Lucca and The Jazz Cafe are lovely cafes with great food but if it's a pub and a (local brew) pint you want, try the Pig and Fiddle http://www.pigandfiddle.butcombe.com/

9. Re: Must see in Bath...limited time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bath