We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
asia
reviews: 6
Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

We're two adults travelling. Thought of heading out to Bath and Stonehenge from London. We're taking public transport. Just wondering will a day be enough?

Edited: 4:37 pm, May 04, 2013
Cotswolds
1. Re: Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

You will not get to Bath much before mid afternoon - so no it's not enough

Do one or the other - Stonehenge plus Salisbury, or Bath on its own - in a day or take 2 over the trip.

Basingstoke, United...
reviews: 112
2. Re: Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

Good advice from dzug!

warrensburg,MO
3. Re: Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

The reason that day tours to Stonehenge and Bath are popular is they are often cheaper and more convenient than public transport. Obviously choose a tour that does Stonehenge and Bath only, and doesn't try to squeeze in Windsor Castle, Oxford or Vatican City in it's day itinerary.

4. Re: Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

WeI am planning the same one day excursion from London on an upcoming vacation. We'd like to use our time well but have enough time and not feel rushed. Stonehenge and Bath only, as we have only one day to take a tour.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 127
5. Re: Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

There are excursions that go to Stonehenge, and then allow you to spend the rest of the afternoon in Bath.

Bath really deserves a full day, but at Stonehenge you only need an hour, unless you are very keen to walk through more of the landscape.

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 38
6. Re: Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

As is well known on this forum, I am not a fan of Stonehenge, places like Avebury offer far more, and are infinitely less crowded, but you need a car.

However, if S'henge is a must for you, it is possible to do this yourself, though it will be more expensive than going on a tour (which I do not recommend, you do not get nearly enough time in Bath).

Catch an early train from Waterloo to Salisbury (07:30 if possible)

Catch the bus out to Stonehenge, see Stonehenge (40 minutes), then back to Salisbury

Train to Bath - if you get up early enough it should be possible to be in Bath by 12-13:00.

Do the Roman Baths straight away - 5 minutes from the station - allow at least 90 minutes, make sure you get an audio guide.

Hop-on-hop-off bus trip (goes from very close to the RBs)

Wander the city, possibly going to some of the things you have seen from the bus - the Assembly Rooms etc

Supper in one of the city's many eateries

Train back to Paddington (think the last one goes about 22:43)

asia
7. Re: Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

Thanks everyone! Seems like there's a differing opinions on whether Bath and Stonhenge can be done in 1 day.

Someone mentioned that public transport cost more than the tour to Bath. Is there a website whereby I can check the train tickets online?

I think we might try to squeeze in 1 day for the 2 places as we are early risers. Besides, we won't be going for the Spa in Bath. :( Not sure if we should. Would you guys strongly recommend the Spa in Bath? Or just for sightseeing purposes? Frankly, I go to Japan at least once a year for the onsen (hot spring) so not sure if that would be better than the ones in Japan.

Someone mentioned Vatican City...that's in Bath, right? And. is that different from the Vatican City in Rome? Coz I have been to the one in Rome.

Edited: 10:53 am, May 05, 2013
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 127
8. Re: Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

Gemsy,

Taking the train to Salisbury and Bath will cost you more, as you will be traveling at peak (more expensive) times). Off peak begins after 9:30, which will take a sizable chunk out of your already packed day.

While there is a spa in Bath, the recommendation here is that you visit the historic Roman Baths, which are a World Heritage Site. This does not involve bathing, as you would at an onsen.

http://www.romanbaths.co.uk/

This may be the reason for the confusion regarding the Vatican ...there is, as far as I know, only one Vatican and Vatican city in the world. It is very close to Rome. The Roman Baths are in Bath, England. No Vatican.

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 38
9. Re: Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

The Roman Baths and the Spa are not the same thing. The Spa is very modern (< 20 years old), you can bathe there and have modern spa treatments: the Roman Baths are where Roman soldiers did the same thing nearly 2,000 years ago, but such things are no longer allowed.

asia
10. Re: Is Bath and Stonehenge in a day enough?

Thanks Laura & RC. Noted.