We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way Heathrow to Bath transportation

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
reviews: 54
Best way Heathrow to Bath transportation

I'm flying into terminal 3 at heathrow airport next month and looking for economical, easy, fast public transportation to Bath. Would it be Great Western rail or National Express bus or ??. Seems like Great Western rail also offers interesting 2 for 1 vouchers for Bath attractions.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
reviews: 38
1. Re: Best way Heathrow to Bath transportation

For reasons I won't attempt to explain, it has been taking passengers quite a while to clear immigration and customs at Heathrow and now other airports too.

Your travel options are:

1) Heathrow Express train to Paddington (London) from where you take a 90 minute train to Bath Spa train station

2) Railair coach link to Reading station from which you pick up the train from Paddington for a further hour.

3) National Express Coach service to Bath bus station

You can check train prices and the timetable at www.fgw.co.uk and the coach at www.nationalexpress.com.

Train prices are a complicated subject but, if you are able to restrict yourself to a particular train, an Advance single is usually a lot cheaper than if you turn up and pay on the day (though the super off peak tickets are also quite good value).

It is especially hard to predict how long it will take for you to clear customs, and advance tickets are not refundable (whereas offpeak and super offpeak and standard tickets are). In your situation I think I would either buy a flexible ticket in case of delays or travel via London with an advance ticket booked for much later in the day, take a shower, check my luggage into left luggage and spend a few hours sightseeing.

PS: At the risk of stating the obvious, there need to be 2 of you to take advantage of the "2 for 1 offers"

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
2. Re: Best way Heathrow to Bath transportation

1) & 2) oddly enough take around the same length of time and cost around the same. In both cases you'll have to book the journey from Reading / Paddington to Bath leg separately from the Heathrow to Reading / Paddington leg as there are no facilities for collecting National Rail tickets at Heathrow. And given the recent problems at Heathrow I wouldn't want to risk predicting how long it will take you to go through Heathrow, so pre-booking of tickets may result in unexpected cost. It does however not prevent you booking a train FROM Bath for a specific train assuming you are travelling on from there

boston,ma.
reviews: 202
3. Re: Best way Heathrow to Bath transportation

I always take the bus. It's a bit longer than the train but much cheaper and you can either view the scenery or take a nice snooze(often needed after long flights).

4. Re: Best way Heathrow to Bath transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, June 21, 2013