We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Bath

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 1
4 days in Bath

Having a rethink on my upcoming trip to Bath. We will be traveling from Heathrow. Is car rental or train recommended?

If we have no car while there is it easy to get around? Would it be worthwhile to rent a car for a day to say visit Cotswolds and/or Stonehenge? What other excursions in the area would you recommend?

We are staying at Royal Crescent although have learned my son may come along meaning 2 rooms will be necessary so may have to change to more economical accommodation!

We will be going to London for a few days after Bath and understand train is the best option to get into city centre?

Thanks for any input you care to give!

Barnstaple, United...
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
reviews: 169
1. Re: 4 days in Bath

Well... A car is a liability in Bath as driving is often complex and parking expensive. You will certainly be best to travel by train to central London but if you want to visit Stonehenge (1 hours drive from Bath on a good day) or Cotswold villages you may find it easier in a car.

Personally, I find Stonehenge not worth it, really, as you can see it as well from the road as from the fenced area around it. I would stay more local and perhaps visit Bristol (easily done by train) or even Wells.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
2. Re: 4 days in Bath

As an alternative to renting a car (if you decide not to do so), have a look at the Mad Max Tours -

http://www.madmaxtours.co.uk/

We took both the Cotswolds tour and the Stonehenge/Avebury/Lacock tour the first time we were in Bath (2008) and enjoyed them both immensely.

Last year, we took a public bus from Bath to Wells. Wells is lovely and has a wonderful cathedral. (You also get to see some of the countryside between Bath and Wells.)

Canada
3. Re: 4 days in Bath

Thanks. Yes I take your point about Stonehenge! I have seen it before but DH has not so thought he might like a peek.

My trip is genealogy related and Bristol is on my agenda. There is also a small place called Bitton I would like to see. Are there regular buses and trains?

Thanks again.

Ottawa, ON
reviews: 59
4. Re: 4 days in Bath

If there are specific places you want to see in the Cotswolds, a car rental for the day would make sense. If you just want to see the Cotswolds, then a tour from Bath would make sense. These guys have a good reputation (see the reviews on Tripadvisor), www.madmaxtours.co.uk/index.php…

I agree with a Bristol - a much under-rated destination. Chepstow for its castle by train and onward to Tintern for its abbey by bus can also be easily done from Bath, and would allow you to say you have been to Wales.

Canada
5. Re: 4 days in Bath

Great advice especially the bit 'saying I've been to Wales'. Love it! So glad to hear Bristol is worth a visit too!

Bath, UK
reviews: 30
6. Re: 4 days in Bath

Travel to Bath by train or coach from Heathrow, and then you will require a taxi from the station to the Royal Crescent. Once you are in Bath you will find there are so many wonderful things to see that you won't need to go far, and if you want to visit Bristol it is 12 minutes by train and the trains to Bristol are very frequent. As to getting to and from Bitton, it's only just outside Bath and the hotel will be able to arrange a local taxi for you, or you could email local taxi companies for quotations in advance. The 332 and 632 buses from Bath Bus Station goes via Bitton High Street and takes just 20 minutes. It then goes on to Bristol, and returns the same way. southglos.gov.uk/NR/…PTE070491.pdf

Canada
7. Re: 4 days in Bath

Thanks to one and all for your suggestions! I really do appreciate the time you take to read and respond.

8. Re: 4 days in Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, April 30, 2012
9. Re: 4 days in Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, June 19, 2013