We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on train travel to Bath

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Laurel, NJ
reviews: 43
Question on train travel to Bath

Hello all - first time posting here - usually hang out at the London forum. . .

My 16 y.o. son and I are taking our 2nd trip to London this summer. We'll be there for about 11 days and I'm thinking about a trip outside the city for a day.

I'm having trouble comprehending all the Tube/Train/Bus ticket "stuff." I'm assuming that a train trip to Bath is NOT included if we purchase the visitor travelcards - is that right?

Sorry to be so ignorant, but we have no public transport that's anything like London's where I live.

Thank you for your help.

Jane

London, United...
1. Re: Question on train travel to Bath

Bath is some way outside the travelcard zones, so you would need to purchase a separate ticket. Trains are run by First Great Western and leave for Bath Spa every half hour at most times of day from London's Paddington Station.

See www.fgwtickets.co.uk for times, fare information and booking, www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk gives more general info.

The cheapest round trip ticket available on this route is the APEX return, at about £19, this ticket must be booked a couple of weeks in advance and ties you to a specific train. Super Advance Return is £30 and can be booked up to the day before travel. The cheapest 'walk up' fare that can be bought on the day is the SuperSaver Return at £38, although there are limitations as to when you can travel with this ticket.

Wiltshire,UK
2. Re: Question on train travel to Bath

my understaniding is that the travel card is just for in London travel. (not that Im too familiar with london travel cards but I am sure others who are will confirm for you)

You would need to take the tube to Paddington station and then buy a ticket to catch the train going towards bristol or Cardiff (Wales) which go through Bath.Booking in advance on www.trainline.co.uk will give you an idea of the best time to travel to get the best fares but the general rule is to avoid weekdays in the peak travel times...but may not be too bad coming out of London.

The Bath station is very central when you get to the other end and it will be worth it. I live 10 miles outside of Bath and it really is a wonerful city. Dont miss the Roman Baths, Bath Abbey, Sally Lunns tea shop and the Royal crescent.Take the open top tour buses for a comprehensive site seeing tour and you can hop on hop off just like you can in London.

What time of year are you travelling...depending on the season there is a local Bath rugby team (which is well thought of locally!) which play in the centre of bath (not in the streets you understand?) so it might be worth checking out if they are playing at home and getting tickets - its an experience which your 16 year old may wonder at ....but if in the summer then there also may be a cricket match on...and depending what part of the world you are from? that always seems to provide amazed confusion as to rules etc.....

Have a great time

I will post a link

Wiltshire,UK
3. Re: Question on train travel to Bath

http://www.bathrugby.co.uk/3_7.php

Heres the rugby one.

London, United...
4. Re: Question on train travel to Bath

16 is the age when a Child becomes and Adult, as far as rail tickets go, although traveling together you may be able to get away with a child ticket, depending on your son.

Wiltshire,UK
5. Re: Question on train travel to Bath

and the cricket one

http://www.bathcricket.com/

Mount Laurel, NJ
reviews: 43
6. Re: Question on train travel to Bath

Thank you all so much for your help!! My son is a pretty tall "mature" looking kid so most likely we won't get away with him being a child. I should be used to it by now as we go to Disney World quite often and, according to Mickey, he's been an adult since he was 10 . . .

I will most certainly check out all the sites - thank you so much for your help. I hope we can get out that way. We'll be going at the end of June, 2006.

Thank you again, I appreciate the assistance.

London, Uk
reviews: 64
7. Re: Question on train travel to Bath

Look on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ for details about national rail trains. Look on …tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2… for details about travel in London. Use public transport in the UK. It's not bad and you get to see how we all live. let me know if you need more info.

Get answers to your questions about Bath