We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA to London to Bath

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, AZ
USA to London to Bath

Rick Steves suggests starting a London vacation by heading to Bath right away from Heathrow and spending 2 nights there. It makes sense, but seems like quite the trek after spending a whole day just getting from the US to London. Any thoughts?

warrensburg,MO
1. Re: USA to London to Bath

Not a good idea. I thought Rick Steves suggested Bath first on a round trip through the whole country finishing off in London. May be I'm wrong. However if he is suggesting two nights in Bath on a London vacation then it isn't a London vacation, it's a U.K vacation.

Bath is a wonderful city and I applaud anyone who takes time out from vacationing in London to spend some time in this beautiful place. The question you may want to ask yourself is that if your flight gets in to Heathrow in the early morning (as most flights from the U.S tend to do), would you A) spend your time soaking up London's atmosphere, museums and culture after a short airport transfer then checking in to your hotel mid afternoon and making a day excursion to Bath later on in your stay. Or B) taking the 15 minute Heathrow Express train to London Paddington station then switching to a 2 hour express train to Bath, making sure you do not fall asleep and end up in Cardiff. Then soak up the wonders of Bath (and nearby Stonehenge) for two nights then go back to London for the remainder of your vacation?

UK
reviews: 6
2. Re: USA to London to Bath

Recover from your flight first... anything you weren't too awake for at the beginning of your stay will still be within reach for a quick revisit, if you're based in London. Save Bath for when you're fit and bright... and really enjoy it....stay overnight... you may even enjoy the view from the train window as you won't be asleep !! Have a good trip ! Nolana

UK
3. Re: USA to London to Bath

Just a thought.... there is an airport near Bath at Bristol... I think you can get NY flights - but I can't imagine what aerobatics might be involved to re-route yourselves that way from your direction ....!! ;.)

reviews: 93
4. Re: USA to London to Bath

You can fly direct to Bristol from Newark with continental airlines, take the airport bus into Bristol about 30 minutes then Train/Bus about another 30 minutes to Bath. The airport is about 20 miles from Bath. If you need any more details then do say!

UK
5. Re: USA to London to Bath

The press release last year:

www.southwestrda.org.uk/news/release.asp…

has the telephone number for Continental airlines too.

UK
6. Re: USA to London to Bath

The press release above says that the flights are timed to connect with a wide network of flights over the US. Regards, Nolana

Bath, UK
reviews: 12
7. Re: USA to London to Bath

One of the best ways to travel from Bristol Airport to Bath is to use AirportCarz, who are based at the airport. The cost is £36 for the car, whatever the time day and night, and their Ford Galaxy people-carriers accommodate 4 passengers. You can book ahead on the internet (with a 10% discount). They use a country route that avoids Bristol and the journey takes only about 45 minutes to the centre of Bath. You don't have to book on the internet as they have a reception desk at the airport that is manned 24/7, and where you can pay in advance for the journey - which can be reassuring when you arrive in a different country with different currency.

Phoenix, AZ
8. Re: USA to London to Bath

Thanks so much for all your input! Had originally been thinking of taking the bus from Heathrow, but the car from Bristol seems like a great idea. My husband has made the trek from here to Hanover, Germany and survived. He described it as being similar to USA to Heathrow to Bath. Either way, we're looking forward to being able to spend a night or two in Bath. Am thinking of staying at Dukes, which has good reviews here.

UK
9. Re: USA to London to Bath

Have a great time !

teaneck, new jersey
reviews: 4
10. Re: USA to London to Bath

Is there a train directly from Heathrow to Bath? How long a trip and what is the price? Thanks for your help