We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jane Austin Festival

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Jane Austin Festival

Has anybody been to the JA Festival and if so, was it worth going to or is it another touristy adventure that could have easily been missed?

Thanx.

UK
reviews: 6
1. Re: Jane Austin Festival

Hi, Krayzee4travel.... !

The Jane Austen Centre website has all the information you need on it... ;: www.janeausten.co.uk go to the e-mail newsletter 'button' and click - it will show you a page with 'the Jane Austen Festival' button on it.... click that and you'll have all the information you need.

The festival includes people walking around the city in costume and 'special guided walking tours with Jane Austen as a theme'... not a rip-off - not if you're really interested in Jane Austen, the books, life, times, history... etc. If Jane Austen leaves you 'cold'... then you won't be interested....

I noticed you had another question re charity shops -

There is also a charity shop just along the road from the Jane Austen Centre - on the corner of Gay Street and George Street....

You hardly need public transportation in the centre of Bath - everywhere is easily accessible by walking, and the very centre is pedestrianised... with just a couple of little streets open to traffic.

San Diego
2. Re: Jane Austin Festival

Thanks for the info Nolana. Yes, I checked out the website but since I'm not really a Jane Austin person but rather a historical costume fanatic I was wondering if the JA Festival would be worth going to for that alone. I plan to do the Cosutme Museum while in Bath and just didn't know if the JA Festival was something I wanted to add to my itenerary. From the website it seems people will be walking around in Regency costume all over town - correct?

Thanks also for the charity shop info. K4T

Milton Keynes...
reviews: 18
3. Re: Jane Austin Festival

I go to the festival every year and this is because I am also a historical costume fan. I love the films but am not really a fan of the books. We were at the first day of the festival last year and did the promenade. there were about 180 people dressed in costume. We then went in costume and had tea in the pump house it was like the scene in P & P with Fanny and Robert Ferrers. We went in our day dresses to the guided walk the next day and had met some equally mad girls in costume for a devine picnic in the crescent. This year we are there for the Grand Ball and intendto wander all around bath in our dresses. We have day and evening wear and will aslo do the horse drawn carriage bit. If you are coming then wander to the pump house at 3.00 on Sunday the 30th Sept. We will be five to seven ladies in period costume taking tea. It is brilliant!

4. Re: Jane Austin Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bath