We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shropshire to Heathrow

Which Shropshire hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Desert...
Shropshire to Heathrow

I have one day planned in Shropshire. We will spend the previous night in Ludlow, then a day of scenic driving, maybe stopping in Church Stretton for a look and a hike up Long Mynd, perhaps tour a country house? We have to fly out of Heathrow at 3:45pm the next day so can I still stay in in Shropshire that night or should we drive further east and get accommodation closer to LHR? We wouldn't have to be at the airport till 12pm(?) but I don't know traffic-wise if it would be smart to leave Shropshire the morning of the day we fly out.

Oh, any suggestions on the best route to drive to LHR? Or should I just follow the satnav?

4 replies to this topic
Loughton, Essex...
reviews: 185
1. Re: Shropshire to Heathrow

The motorways can become jammed after an accident etc - so I'd suggest somewhere closer to LHR. If coming down the M40, perhaps Beaconsfield or Stokenchurch?

Shropshire
reviews: 183
2. Re: Shropshire to Heathrow

Congratulations on choosing to visit Ludlow & parts of South Shropshire! So many visitors from abroad follow one another around the main tourist venues and don't get to drive (or walk) in our countryside.

Ludlow is only 13 miles south of Church Stretton and both are worth visiting. Ludlow is the larger town...very historic with its castle, old walls, theatre, river, market place, traditional shops and hilly high street.

Well worth exploring but it won't take that long as it's only a small town (pop 11,000) and best explored on foot (despite the slopes). It's a foodie heaven with great pubs, many cafes & tea shops and some good restaurants.

Church Stretton is basically a two street town and would be quite 'ordinary' if it wasn't for its dramatic scenery & fantastic walks. The Long Mynd is a must to visit...12 miles long by a couple of miles wide, it is an upland plateau that offers tremendous views and good walks, with little man-made to distract you and masses of purple heather & wild ponies.

As to your journey to Heathrow...it's a drive of around 155 miles that SHOULD be straightforward and take you some 2 1/2 hours...following your satnav & driving on motorways for 90% of the journey (via the outskirts of Birmingham - the worst part: slow & ugly). Our rush hours are almost two hours either side of 9am and 5pm and are best avoided...especially the short stretch of the M25 that leads to Heathrow!)

I would be tempted to enjoy Shropshire but make sure you leave at least 3 1/2 hours of driving time to Heathrow. Don't hesitate to get back to me if I can help with more local advice.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 27
3. Re: Shropshire to Heathrow

What day of the week and which month will you be doing this? That could affect our advice.

If you did want to stay nearer the airport (and it's not a bad idea), where would depend on what you would like to do on your last night. And what sort of accommodation are you looking at? A B&B or coaching inn in a small town (Thame is one a little further away than those mentioned above bit still close to the M40) or maybe a country house with evening meal included?

Redlands, California
reviews: 30
4. Re: Shropshire to Heathrow

Second the walk up to the Long Mynd through Cardingmill Valley--a bit of a climb, but good paths and as BigJohn said, the views left and right from the ridge are amazing in good weather. The Stiperstones ridge is also spectacular. I must admit I didn't find Church Stretton unusually charming, but Ludlow is lovely.

Reply to: Shropshire to Heathrow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted