We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford 'Unlocked'

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
reviews: 16
Oxford 'Unlocked'

I finally visited the 'Unlocked' attraction at the Oxford Castle yesterday, and thoroughly recommend it.

It is a history of the castle as a prison and a castle spanning hundreds of years, going back to Saxon times. You are shown around part of it by a guide and then have a handheld audio visual unit to guide you at your own pace through the prisons life through the ages. Good for all ages with a few interactive things and actors bringing the stories to life on the AV units. There are also good views of Oxford from the top of the tower

The cost is £6.95 and you need a good 1.5 - 2 hours. Plenty of refreshments outlets and now a very nice, small open air ice rink.

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
reviews: 52
1. Re: Oxford 'Unlocked'

I have to disagree with Dukla and say that I do NOT recommend the Castle Unlocked tour. I went recently with my mother, sister, and my 14 year old son, and none of us enjoyed it. We left before the audio/video tour ended because it seemed to take an eternity. The biggest fault of the tour is that the jail has been used up to a decade ago, so everything has been modernised. They did their best to show you what it most likely used to look like, but that's not really good enough. It doesn't change the fact that almost all of the property has been modernised and turned into concrete cells. It didn't feel authentic. The video tour was laughable, but for the wrong reasons. It was dreadfully dull and not worth the money. Walk around the Castle Complex, duck into the Malmaison Hotel for a look around, climb up the mound if you like, and then walk away. Quickly.

Oxford,UK
reviews: 2
2. Re: Oxford 'Unlocked'

I was luckily enough to have a Free peek at the Castle/Prison on the day HMQ officially opened it (it wasn`t properly finished then) and i only had a quick whiz round as i had my 3 yr old son with me proped on my shoulders,didn`t get up the tower but think it will be a good attraction to visit in the summer warmer months.

3. Re: Oxford 'Unlocked'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 19, 2009