We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bladon

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 9
Bladon

Hi

I'm going to be visiting London in April and want to do a day trip to Oxford and have a side trip to Bladon, where my late grandfather was brought up. Im planning to catch either the train (prefence) or the bus to Oxford town centre and would like to know the best way to get to Bladon and where else to visit in the area by public transport or on foot during the day. Have been to Oxford previously so would prefer small town or villages for this day. I will be on a business trip so 1 day is it on this trip.

Greenwich (London)
reviews: 1
1. Re: Bladon

www.transportdirect.info is a useful site for stuff like this - you put in arbitrary places in Britain and it'll tell you the public transport options between them (as well as car distance/time). If you put in names of towns, you need to be sure to twiddle the drop-downs to say "City/Town/Suburb".

You do need to make sure you put the actual time you're likely to be travelling, or try a variety of times, because it's not smart enough to tell you that although at 11 o'clock you need 4 trains and 7 buses, if you leave at 2 there's one direct train, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, a first look at it for this journey suggests there are three options by bus, each requiring a chnage somewhere. It suggests:

a) Bus 6 to Upper Wolvercote (13 mins) then bus 218 to Bladon (14 mins)

b) Bus 11 from Oxford to Long Hanborough (30 mins), then bus 42 to Bladon (6 mins)

c) Bus 20A to Woodstock/Blenheim Palace (26 mins) then bus 42 to Bladon (6 mins)

Total journey time between 35 mins and an hour.

Greenwich (London)
2. Re: Bladon

It might also be that some 218 services go direct to Bladon.

warrensburg,MO
3. Re: Bladon

Just to add to Curious Orange's selection, and because I visit Bladon frequently, my feeling is that you should take the number 20 which runs from Oxford every half hour during the day and alight at the Bladon turn just south of the grounds of Bleheim Palace and Woodstock. Don't continue into Woodstock., the stop is just before you enter the town. From there it's a ten minute walk west down the road to the centre of Bladon.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 44
4. Re: Bladon

Is that where Winston Churchills buried?

Greenwich (London)
5. Re: Bladon

Cheers, henneth. One problem with these transportation sites is that they often assume you don't want to walk more than 10 feet.

warrensburg,MO
6. Re: Bladon

Curious Orange,

That's often true!!

Peterscot,

Yes, he's buried at St Martin's.

Peak District...
Destination Expert
for Derbyshire
reviews: 208
7. Re: Bladon

We went to see Winson once. Its a remarkably peaceful and unassuming place.

Oxfordshire
reviews: 51
8. Re: Bladon

Hi Aussie John,

The bus service 20A runs from Oxford railway station or from Gloucester Green bus station at fairly regular interviews to the town of Woodstock, a 7 miles journey. From there it is an easy 20 minute walk to Bladon and the church. Winston Churchill is buried in the churchyard along with many of his family. The graves are relatively modest compared to other world leaders -- which is what Churchill wanted. Afterwards, walk down to the main road, turn right, then left past the White House pub. This will bring you to the Bladon gate --- a free entry into the extensive grounds of Blenheim Palace. The occupants and agents of the Palace have to tolerate the fact that there are several public rights of way in and through the grounds (other entrances are near the Black Prince pub in Woodstock and near Combe village). You can take a walk of between 2 and 4 miles around the grounds and the lakes for free with great views of the palace. You only have to pay if you enter by the gate in Woodstock itself. A great day out.

Melbourne
reviews: 9
9. Re: Bladon

Thankyou everyone for your help. All seems like great advice and it doesn't seem like too tough a journey and that there will be plenty to do, to fill in the day. Particulary if I ignore one piece of Johncharles, advice and not just "go past the White House pub" but maybe stop off for a little liquid refreshment to help me along the way.

10. Re: Bladon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, August 27, 2009