We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation please !

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 3
Restaurant recommendation please !

Hi

Please can you tell me your favourite restaurant in Oxford?

Top of the list of our priorities are good food and service - cuisine and price are not important. We are staying at the Old Parsonage so restaurants within a 20 minute walk of there would be great.

Many thanks in advance

uk
reviews: 10
11. Re: Restaurant recommendation please !

Nothing wrong with walking from the Old Parsonage to Cowley Rd - or the other way for that matter.

If you want an up market restaurant within 5 mins of the OP then Gees has to be the choice. Owned by the same person as the OP anyway.

But if you want something a bit different then go to Cowley Rd - and St Clements nearby. There's lots of choice in a small area - predominantly asian, but lots of other "ethnic" styles of cooking. A recently opened restaurant there is Door 42 (at number 42!), which is better than the Cowley Rd average - modern mediterranean in style of food.

Another good choice is Cibo (Italian), in South Parade, Summertown. Easy to get to by bus or taxi from the OP.

uk
reviews: 10
12. Re: Restaurant recommendation please !

Sorry folks. It's Door 74 on Cowley Road. Not 42!

London
reviews: 1
13. Re: Restaurant recommendation please !

Hi, this has all got a bit confusing! I've spent the past 5 years in Oxford as a student but have eaten at most restaurants in that time.

I have to say that my favourite is the Cherwell Boathouse. I've eaten there several times and have ALWAYS had amazing food and at reasonable prices - frankly i think it's underpriced. teh waiters tend to be french and incredibly considerate and often serve free liqueurs after the meal. The menu changes seasonally too.

Gees is a very impressive looking place to go (it has a beautiful Victorian conservatory to eat in) and althoguh the food's nice, it's very expensive and i dont think it warrants the extra cash. The service was pretty average.

Quod on the High Street is always very nice, good prices and nice service. It's very central and always packed. Nice for people watching and lovely cocktails.

Pierre Victoire on Little Clarendon Street is brilliant. It's part of a small chain, but you wouldn't know it and it's the most reasonable. Very nice service and more cosy feeling.

If you're staying at the Old Parsonage, these are the kinds of places you'll want to go. I wouldn't bother with the Cowley road - it's great but much cheaper and more alternative market. Not as nice surroundings or area.

London, England
reviews: 22
14. Re: Restaurant recommendation please !

I would avoid Petit Blanc and Browns like the plague - Petit Blanc used to be absolutely amazing, but the last time I went it was just awful food and sloppy service.

Browns is the same as Browns in St Martins Lane, i.e. incredibly overpriced and incredibly bad service.

Gee's gets my vote - it's a restaurant in a conservatory, and so has a beautiful romantic atmosphere.

The food is pretty good although I would agree it is a tad expensive - given you're staying in the Old Parsonage that shouldn't be too much of an issue though.

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
reviews: 16
15. Re: Restaurant recommendation please !

All round, I would place Lemon Tree over Gees. Gees atmosphere and location are great, but all round experience, I would opt for Lemon Tree.

Oxford, England
16. Re: Restaurant recommendation please !

Yes I think the Cowley Road might be a bit of a culture shock after the Old Parsonage, chalk and cheese and all that ...

The Trout at Wolvercote should be viewed as a pub with an outstanding location on the river, especially in summer, with quite good food but not gourmet - having said that, the food I have had there over the past few years has been very good. But its the setting on a nice day that would be difficult to rival. Not far by taxi from the Old Parsonage.

Lemon Tree gets consistently good reviews, unfortunately heard a bad one about Cherwell Boathouse last night. Mean portions, so so food and very expensive. After years of going there was disappointed to hear that. You couldn't go wrong really with Gees.

Cotswolds
reviews: 5
17. Re: Restaurant recommendation please !

I would go with Gee's & The Crazy Bear, but have you tried The Manor Restaurant at The Weston Manor Hotel for something special. You have to pick your days, weekends are quite difficult to get a table, Sunday lunch is good value at £22-£25 if they are open, don't be put off by large tables of conference guys.

18. Re: Restaurant recommendation please !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 26, 2009