We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birmingham airport to Oxford

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
reviews: 23
Birmingham airport to Oxford

Myself and my husband are visiting Oxford for two nights Fromm aug 16th. We are flying into Birmingham and want to find the best way to get to Oxford city centre. I had planned the train but from brief googling it seems very expensive, over 50 pounds each. Am I looking in the wrong place or is that normal?? The option of a coach doesn't totally appeal, one and a half hours on a stuffy bus but if it is significantly cheaper and is reliable (any experiences welcome), then I'd be willing to do that. Some coach options seem to stop at a park and ride stop, is it far out? I think after the plane and the coach another bus would be a real pain!

Also if anyone has any "must do"s I'll happily take them on board. We are going to celebrate his 40th so are having a child free weekend......bliss!!

5 replies to this topic
Cotswolds
1. Re: Birmingham airport to Oxford

You are doing something wrong. An off peak return is £34,30 each. Any train after 0930 on the Friday, any train Sun. Buy it on the day.

Advance singles won't save you much if anything - depends on your times. They are expensive Friday evening, cheap Sunday evening

Edited: 3:20 pm, July 31, 2013
Dublin
2. Re: Birmingham airport to Oxford

Is that 34.30 a fixed price? I'm safe to wait and just buy before we get on? Thanks so much, here in Ireland it's always cheaper to book online in advance and gets very expensive on the day!

London, United...
reviews: 62
3. Re: Birmingham airport to Oxford

If you are going one-way, it might be cheaper to book in advance. For the £34.50 off peak return, you could just pay on the day.

Cotswolds
4. Re: Birmingham airport to Oxford

Fixed price - yes. Buy on the day, yes.

There are also advance tickets on this route but you are booking too late to get the cheapest ones and they will save you little if anything and you'll lose all flexibility. Like if your plane is late.

Edited: 6:04 am, August 01, 2013
Dublin
5. Re: Birmingham airport to Oxford

That's great thanks a million for all your help I can relax now!

Reply to: Birmingham airport to Oxford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted