We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions to Churchill's Grave in Bladon

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 16
Directions to Churchill's Grave in Bladon

Recently, I walked from Blenheim Palace to visit Churchill's grave in Bladon. I had trouble finding walking directions, so I thought I would post how I got there. This starts from the S3 bus stop labelled "Blenheim Palace Gate."

Illinois
reviews: 16
1. Re: Directions to Churchill's Grave in Bladon

When you get off the bus (coming from Oxford), turn right (following all the other people on the bus that are also going there, and after a few feet you will come to the gates of the Palace on your left. Walk down the long roadway towards the Palace. Before you get to the Palace, just past the first car park, turn left at the sign that says “Pleasure Gardens.” It is also the exit road for cars. Nearby there is a miniature train that goes to the Pleasure Gardens, so you can take that if you want. It didn’t start running until 11AM today, so I just walked.

This road will lead to another car park (for the Pleasure Gardens). Continue past the car park, and you will come to a junction where straight ahead is the vehicle exit. Turn right here down the footpath that says “Access to Trout Fishery Only.” Somewhere along here you go off the map that they give you with your ticket, but I used the one that comes with the Great Walks in Britain – Blenheim and the Churchill Legacy which is available online. Google “Great Walks in Britain” as I don’t have the actual URL with me. You are doing part of this walk, but backward. The map is still useful, though. Continue down this footpath until you come to a small house called “Middle Lodge” on your right.

Shortly after Middle Lodge, turn left onto another footpath. There is also one that goes straight from which you can see the Palace on the right and leads to Bladon Bridge. If you get to the bridge, you missed the turn.

This footpath takes you to a gate that I think is the South Gate to Blenheim Park. The vehicle gate is locked, but there is an unlocked pedestrian gate to the side. Go through the gate. This brings you out onto a road which I think is called Park Close, but it’s not actually labeled on my map. Follow this road downhill and you come out on the A4095 with a pub on your left. I’m not sure of the name of it, The White Horse, maybe? Turn left when you get to the pub and in a few feet there is a crossing. Cross the A4095 and turn right onto a footpath that goes back uphill. There is a sign here. Although it’s called a footpath, there were a couple of cars that drove down it while I was walking up.

You pass a primary school on your right, which there are 2 entrances to. I think the turn to the church was the next turn on the right. You can see the church from this turn. Follow the footpath and you will come to a gate leading into the graveyard behind the church. Winston Churchill’s grave is up near the church. Once you get there, it’s hard to miss. Clementine is buried there too. Once you have finished exploring the graveyard, you can go into the church, which is a nice little church. They have booklets describing the church for 2GBP and also a laminated information sheet which is free but you leave it there.

When you come out of the church, you can either go back the way you came or go out the front gate. There are some homes here, and you can follow any of the roads (or steps in one place) on your right back down to the A4095. Turn right here and head back to the road you came down from. On the way, you will pass the Bladon War Memorial on the right. A little ways down the road if you turn left on the A4095 there is a tea room, but I didn’t stop there. They say they have free wifi there.

When you get back to the pub, retrace your steps. If you go left at Middle Lodge instead of right, there is a footpath that looks like it would take you back up to the palace, but it doesn’t go all the way before you run into a fence that says no admittance. You could walk down to the bridge, though. The whole walk including exploring the church took me about 1.5 to 2 hrs, without walking too fast. I’d guess I was walking about 3-4 miles per hour, but that’s a guess. This also included time to walk up the path that looks like it goes to the palace but doesn’t. I took the miniature train back from the Pleasure Gardens since there was one conveniently sitting there boarding when I got there. It appeared to be free, although I thought there was a sign that said it was free for ticket holders. I had a ticket, but no one checked it.

2. Re: Directions to Churchill's Grave in Bladon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 14, 2013