We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stag weekend in Oxford?

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
reviews: 2
Stag weekend in Oxford?

Hi everyone, I am planing to have my stag weekend in March next year and am considering having it in Oxford. I live in Leeds and was thinking of either Oxford or Brighton, but Oxford is the easiest to get to. Therefore, Oxford may be the best option.

I fancy something a bit different to the norm, but somewhere with good nightlife, decent bars and clubs, and a friendly atmosphere. The group will be mainly high 20's and low 30's and I would personally like somewhere with good music, probably indie / rock but pretty open-minded.

Additionally, I would like something to do through the day and had an idea of trying to organise a stag boat race for a laugh!

What I need to know is if you would recommend Oxford as a stag location. I need to ensure that my stag is in a quality location. Also, if there were any ideas for good bars / clubs or daytime activities.

Cheers

Dublin
reviews: 1
11. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

I'm with you on that one Dukla. Although I'm not from Oxford (or UK for that matter) I would not call Oxford a dump - far from it. I have travelled to Oxford numerous times and have enjoyed it each time!!!

London
reviews: 268
12. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

OK, I have requested TA to remove the comment that Oxford is a dump, as it is obviously rather a daft claim. To be fair, my grudge is with the university, not the city. The fact that the city and university are pretty much inextricably linked sadly means that I am doomed to loathe the city itself even though it is only the university with which I have a problem. Looked at objectively, by somebody with no unpleasant history with the university, the mere buildings of course represent the finest record of the history of English (and indeed European) architecture, from the Saxon Tower of St Michael at the North Gate right down to Arne Jacobsen's stunning design for St Catherine's College (I draw the line at the Saïd Business School, which sadly displaced the beautiful Rewley Road railway station). With the exception, of course, of Florence, I can think of no city in the world where so many beautiful buildings are so highly concentrated in so small a space. To enter Broad Street from St Giles, to behold the loveliness of Trinity, the magnificence of the Sheldonian, and then on, past the Bodleian, into Radcliffe Square, and beyond the University Church, the High Street, curving beyond Queen's and the Examination Schools, down to Magdalen and the river, where else can one see such beauty? Unfortunately, Oxford was ruined for me by the university, so a purely aesthetic appreciation of the architecture becomes impossible. I do, however, stand by the statement that Oxford is an odd place for a stag party. The only cocktail bar I could recommend is Raoul's (Freud's is fairly ghastly, although for some reason more popular). So I retract the statement that (as was implicit) a reasonable person would judge Oxford to be a dump, despite standing by my resolution never to set foot within six miles of Carfax again.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
13. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088710/Elly-No… - a girl after your own heart :)

Oxford, United...
reviews: 136
14. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

Agreed. Fabulous city, not sure if it is a stag location mind.

reviews: 18
15. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

Some useful stuff. Hardest part we're finding is where to stay. There are 12 of us. Grateful for all tips.

No City
reviews: 6
16. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

How did you get on with that accomodation mate? Am planning a Stag in Oxford next June and would be very interested how you got on?

Cheers.

Matt.

17. Re: Stag weekend in Oxford?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 22, 2014