We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford,UK
reviews: 2
Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

I live here so if you need info please feel free to ask....

Los Angeles CA
1. Re: Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

Monkee,

Thanks so much. We are looking at a week in Oxford next summer, and we are looking at Wroxton House in Oxford. It is being rented through English Country Cottages. It looks to be off of Iffley Road near Donnington Bridge Road. What kind of area is this? Looks very pretty and they advertise walking distance to markets, pubs and town. We are taking a teenage daughter and a sister-in-law. We do not want to have to drive everywhere.

Thanks again and you will be hearing more from me!

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 10
2. Re: Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

Cos it's boring?

Another Oxford-ite signing in!

Nah, Oxford's all right - it's just a bit tiresome when you live here (knee deep in tourists!)

The Iffley Rd/Donnington Bridge area is quiet and largely residential but it's quite a longish walk to town (I stayed down the Iffley Rd once and it took me quite a while to trek in - like, 30-40 mins).

Fortunately, there is an excellent, very frequent bus service on the Iffley Rd that runs quite late into the night (11pm'ish I'd say). You can buy daily or seven-day passes on the bus which are handy if you want to travel about within the city. Driving is NOT a good idea in the centre of Oxford - the roads are an absolute maze because the centre of town is closed to traffic except buses and taxis and the parking is extortionate in the city. So if you're going into town, much easier and cheaper to use the buses.

A good local information website is

http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk

That has tons of info about restaurants, cinema etc etc

Nice day trips out of Oxford include Bath (reachable by rail), Blenheim Palace/Woodstock (you can reach that on the no. 20 bus) and ... um ... if a young person wanted to go shopping, she might take the X5 bus to central Milton Keynes and go mad in the big mall there.

Hope you have a nice time in Oxford!

rol

Oxford,UK
3. Re: Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

Iffley Rd/Donnington bridge area is very residential, but as Roley said its close to the bus route for easy access to the City Centre also the river Thames which is a nice walk upto Town taking in the University Boat houses along the way.

Another hotel to try could be The Four Pillars on Abingdon Rd for easier access to the city (within Walking Distance) it may be more costly but is situated along the River and very close to the centre.

Try www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk this is Oxfords local newspaper (Oxford Mail) and may give you some more good info.

Hope this has helped you, will try to assist if i can further.

Los Angeles CA
4. Re: Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

Well, I looked a little harder and found a flat on St Bernards street near Walton. What kind of neighborhood is that?

norther, wi
reviews: 23
5. Re: Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

We are planning to visit our daughter who is a student at Oxford. She is living in Headington but we think we may want to stay elsewhere. Perhaps within walking distance to the university area...not sure. There are 5 of us. A family of three and two. Usually we have a car but are thinking of just using public transport since our priority is visiting and not touring. Looks like we will be there 19 Nov thru 23. Any suggestions?

Oxford,UK
6. Re: Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

St Bernards Rd is a much more up-market area than Donnington Bridge and closer to the city centre (10 mins walk) walking into the centre along Walton St you come across some excellent restaurants and bars,the famous chef Raymond Blanc has a small restaurant which is first class.

Oxford,UK
7. Re: Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

Headington is a good location and has excellent public transport to the city (every 5 mins) Oxford city centre is closed to cars etc during the day hours (Oxford transport Stategy) so a car is not a good idea also parking is expensive.

San Jose, California
reviews: 22
8. Re: Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

I'd love to ask a few questions about Oxford! My husband and I will be visiting our son in mid-February. (He is not there at this time and can't help us plan yet.) I'm having trouble getting a good map that will allow us to stay near him--near Oxford Brookes University. Is that east of Oxford City Center? It seems that Headington is the area we may be looking for, but I'm not sure. Is it a separate town, or is it considered part of Oxford? When looking for hotels, is there any way to specify this area rather than Oxford in general?

What kind of weather can we expect in Oxford in February?

How long does it take to get into London by train? To Cardiff?

We're quite eager to enjoy the city. Though we've traveled in the UK a few times, we have never spent time in Oxford.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Peak District...
Destination Expert
for Derbyshire
reviews: 226
9. Re: Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

Staying in Headington

If you take the link above to Expedia and zoom in you will see they list nothing in Headington. Most of the main line hotels are in the old city, which is halfway between the rail station and Headington. If you want style the centre will be the place to stay.

Headington used to be a separate village but is now joined on and within the Oxford by-pass.

www.oxford.gov.uk gives a link to the Information Centre for visitors and a few more links get you to

oxford.gov.uk/tourism/accommodation-search.c… which enables you to search by area. This brings up 5 guest houses a small hotel and a self catering agency for Headington.

Or you could call their Tourist Accommodation Booking Line

Phone: +44 (0) 1865 726871

Open: Monday-Friday,9.30am-12 noon and 2pm-4pm and they will help you for a fee of 5 pounds.

I think the time difference is 8 hours now so if you call before 8am or between 10am and noon Pacific Time on a weekday you should get help.

You can email with enquiries to tic@oxford.gov.uk.

There are more listed on Smoothhound, which lists smaller hotels in the UK at www.smoothhound.co.uk/oxford.html#01865762749

Use the browser Edit/Find to pick out the ones in Headington. Some have on-line brochures. One that I picked out looked quite nice to my UK eyes. London Road is the main road from the city to the bypass and M40 so there will be a bus service but it may be more noisy.

Peak District...
Destination Expert
for Derbyshire
reviews: 226
10. Re: Why has nobody asked any questions about Oxford...?

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/findus/ gives the Oxford Brookes locations, one of which is in Headington. Wheatley is a village a little further out, Harcourt Hill is on the other side of town but as far as I know Headington is the main site.

You can get the train times and prices on thetrainline.com. It was about an hour to London the last time I did it.

I hope you enjoy Oxford as much as I did.