We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

Which Nottingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
reviews: 2
Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

Hello, I have just realized that your lovely city may work into our plans. We will be taking the train from York on the evening of August 2. My husband has dreams of Donington racetrack and museum. If we can get a hotel convenient to the train and rental car I may get to stay in town and explore while he tours out to the track. Thanks so much. We are from Canada and have never driven in the Uk but no worries.

Minden, Germany
reviews: 12
1. Re: Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

Hello. Could you just clarify what your question is? Are you looking for train connections to Nottingham and then a hotel close by? Or to Donington? I am not quite sure what you are asking, I am sorry.

Calgary
2. Re: Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

We will arrive by train to Nottingham but leave the next morning for Donington. We believe car rental may be needed to get to Donington and then on to Birmingham. I was wondering on a hotel close to the train and maybe car rental. Somehwere close to tour sites would be good if I decide to stay in Donington on my own for a few hours.

Minden, Germany
reviews: 12
3. Re: Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

Ok. Most car rental companies are just slightly outside the city centre but never more than a 5 min taxi ride, so I wouldn't worry too much about that and just book the best deal on car rental. You are quite right, it would make sense to have a car when travelling to Birmingham from Nottingham via Donington, which is pretty much on the way. So in terms of hotels, there is the Jury's Inn which is just 5 minutes walk from the train station or plenty of city centre hotels if you want to stay closer to the restaurants / bars.

In terms of sights near Donington .... I might be mistaken but there is nothing that comes to my mind. I think you'd be better off staying in Nottingham and enjoying the sights here and maybe a spot of shopping until your husband has done what he wants to do at Donington and for him to come and pick you up again. Donington is only about 45 min outside of Nottingham, so not much of a drive really. You could then drop the car off again and take the train to Birmingham.

Another option would be to rent the car at East Midlands airport, there is a bus that goes there every 20 minutes (skylink). You are pretty much next to Donington then. Or take a taxi from there, or even the city centre of Nottingham. It would probably not be much more than the car rental, maybe in the £50 - 70 range return.

Edited: 9:35 am, March 28, 2011
Calgary
4. Re: Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

Since our time is limited I may just join the DH at the museum.If its on the way to Birmingham it will cut our time down.

We just never have enough time in your great country. Thanks so much!

Leicester, United...
reviews: 58
5. Re: Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

There are also some hotels close to East Midland airport convenient fro Donington. Holiday Inn Express, Travelodge etc if that works with your car hire

Calgary
6. Re: Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

Thanks Tony. I did just realize that and I am trying to figure out the logistics. Our DD was in your country a few years back and it is on our wish list one of these years.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
reviews: 35
7. Re: Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

You could in fact manage without a car. The Skylink bus services go through Castle Donington town, past the circuit entrance and on to East Midlands airport. You can use the bus to get from any of these places to Leicester or Derby and from there train to Birmingham, although if you go via Leicester the bus station is quite a long walk from the rail station. All services are frequent, at least half-hourly for much of the day. There is little to see or do in Castle Donington itself, it's a small town scarcely larger than a village. The nearest town with something of interest us Loughborough which is on the bus route. Excuse my usual urge to let everyone know that the town, racetrack and airport are all in Leicesterhire!

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 60
8. Re: Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

You don't indicate your hotel budget, but if you decide to stay near Donington, consider the Priest House. Their rooms in the main building, especially their executive ones, are very good indeed, although I should add that I was less impressed on the one occasion when I was allocated a room in their adjacent row of cottages. On the other side of the airport, the Yew Lodge in Kegworth has a very good reputation but I have never stayed there myself. Both of those are fairly up-market.

There are plenty of mid-market hotels in Nottingham itself and the Jury's Inn as mentioned is decent, although my colleagues with cars invariably complain that there is no parking on the premises. The hotel refers drivers to a pay-for car park across the road which isn't terribly convenient. It's also on the outskirts of the city centre. The Ibis is another acceptable and more central low/mid-market option. If your budget can run to the Lace Market, it's in a different league from either of those and I can strongly recommend. There are other big hotels on the west side of the centre overlooking Maid Marian Way. I haven't tried all of them but I can't recommend any of those that I have. I usually stick to those named above or a modest B&B (the Acorn) in West Bridgford.

Calgary
9. Re: Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

I believe that the Yew Lodge meets our idea of a good place to stay. They will pick us up at the airport and take us back if we choose to get a rental car, The car would be handy if you want to stop in Coventry on the way to Birmingham. You have all been very generous with your time and advice.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 58
10. Re: Hotel help needed, train from York and husband to Donington

If you go to Coventry you may want to consider taking your other half to the Coventry Motor Museum. Believe entrance is free. Or you may want to steer him well away from it! It is located in the City Centre.

Link gives the info: http://www.transport-museum.com/