We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring back?

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
colorado
reviews: 7
What to bring back?

I have three daughters 20, 23 and 25. What should I bring back - not expensive. One is into history and music, the other into celebrities and one not sure :)

Barnstaple, United...
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
reviews: 155
1. Re: What to bring back?

Do you want something specifically York related?

colorado
reviews: 7
2. Re: What to bring back?

Yes - what is York related?

Manchester, United...
reviews: 20
3. Re: What to bring back?

Ghosts?

But seeing as that might prove difficult, there are some great individual shops in York that have great gifts. Not sure you will find any that are music or celebrity related, but you will find plenty of gift shops.

hull
4. Re: What to bring back?

We always bring back FatRascals:- bettys.co.uk/product/…37.aspx

We only live fifty miles away so I don't know how well they travel. Bettys sell very good teas and coffees as well.

Barnstaple, United...
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
reviews: 155
5. Re: What to bring back?

You can also get York hoodies (or you could when I was a student up there) and as another poster said there are loads of 'gift shops'. You used to be able to get quite cheap but fairly pleasant picture prints of the city/Minster, too.

6. Re: What to bring back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, May 22, 2012
Yorkshire
reviews: 75
7. Re: What to bring back?

There's a shop on Stonegate that sells all sorts of antique -y type things - it's a kind of franchise, so there are lots of different things to look at inside. It's on the left if you have your back to the Minster. You can spend as much or as little as you want. They don't just have jewellery - I got my favourite old teddy bear there! I can spend ages just looking round...I would think you might find something for your daughters. Failing that, there is a Molton Brown shop which has all sorts of lovely lotions and potions, but they are relatively expensive. Also a Kath Kidston shop in Stonegate, although it's not everyone's cup of tea. But as other posts have said, there are loads of very individual shops where you might see something they'd appreciate.

Yorkshire
reviews: 75
8. Re: What to bring back?

Oh dear - I just realised you said you wanted something York related! Sorry! It might be an idea to look in the Tourist information office - they sell York related things.

London
reviews: 108
9. Re: What to bring back?

York is famous for Yorkie (chocolate) Bars, Vikings (maybe a hat with horns on it), ham (in Spain you'll see Jamon de York on menus but no-one in York has ever heard of it), Dame Judi Dench, Hunter from Gladiators and Shed 7. And a big church. And don't forget the Romans. Not sure what you can take from that! Most of the souvenir shops are full of tat and there are far too many shops selling Scottish wool jumpers.

I suspect you'll find something of a historical nature that's appropriate (try the Yorkshire and Castle museums) the but not sure what you'll find with a musical slant. You might fare better with food (I like the Bettys suggestion; some might not travel well but others come in posh cake tins that will survive most journeys). And there's always chocolate.

york
Destination Expert
for York
reviews: 28
10. Re: What to bring back?

york is, or i should say was a chocolate city so anything on those lines.