We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitby fishing trips

Which Whitby hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Swadlincote, United...
reviews: 9
Whitby fishing trips

I've visited Whitby for 5 years on the trot now and will be visiting once again for the week beginning with the Regatta. From checking in to the Sandbeck, quick walk down the beach and onto Humble Pie, it's like home from home. Love the place and the people.

This year, I want to do something different and try one of the 3 hour fishing trips with my 13 yr old daughter. We have no experience of fishing whatsoever and would really appreciate some advice on who to contact for a taster fishing session. I remember from previous visits that there are fishing trips from opposite The Angel hotel but can't seem to find any details online. Any help or contact numbers would be much appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Barnstaple, United...
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
reviews: 154
1. Re: Whitby fishing trips

Hopefully some of these links might help:

whitbyfishingtrips.co.uk/index.php/trip-info…

http://www.thechieftain.co.uk/

http://www.tinadawn-whitby.co.uk/

Swadlincote, United...
2. Re: Whitby fishing trips

Thanks Riotstar. I had looked at the Whitbyfishingtrips site but couldn't see any contact info and the Chieftain is for more longer trips for experienced anglers. However, the Tina Dawn is just the right type of trip I'm looking for. Much appreciated - Andy.

whitby uk
reviews: 32
3. Re: Whitby fishing trips

Yea a smaller boat will give you a better service for a beginner, I took my kids on "Stoney Broke" for 3 hours because i knew the guy helping Barry the Skipper. There has also been a boat doing "whats in the pot" which is specifically aimed at Kids, and involves pulling up lobster pots in a semi learning experience.

A lot of the boats during the school holidays will be doing mackerel sessions throughout the day, these are more 'fun', shorter and aimed at the novice type, Its not too serious and you WILL catch LOADS of Mackies. I will try and get the number tomorrow for the Whats in the pot experience as im curious my self. Dont forget the two yellow boats and the old lifeboat for trips out to sea for a 20min taster of being on board, they sometimes go up river if its a high enough tide and the sea is rough, Its really beautiful up stream and worth asking when they might be doing one.

Swadlincote, United...
4. Re: Whitby fishing trips

Cheers, David. I will check out the Stoney Broke during this week and hopefully book a fishing trip on one of the boats before coming up in 3 weeks time. I've been on the boats out to sea many times but not upstream - that would be something very different. Been struggling with Hommity pie withdrawal since last August so looking forward to visiting you again soon!! Many thanks again for the info!!

Barnsley, United...
reviews: 28
5. Re: Whitby fishing trips

They have signs up on the railings as you walk down the harbour towards the coop and these have contact details on them. There always seems to be someone around though to advice you and book you on the boats. It is £20 per person and they provide all the tackle you'll need and allow you to take home whatever you catch. My husband and 2 son in laws loved it and brought enough fish back to feed a small army.

Swadlincote, United...
6. Re: Whitby fishing trips

Thank you all for the info. I have booked to go out on the Tina Dawn on the 13th August. I will post how it all went after that time.

Swadlincote, United...
7. Re: Whitby fishing trips

Just got back from another great week in Whitby and thought I'd just review the fishing for anyone checking this topic and thinking about the 3hr trips. The folk running the trips on the Stoney Broke/Tina Dawn are real 'salt of the Earth' people (expect to hear colourful language) and go out of their way to ensure that everyone on board has an enjoyable and relaxing time fishing. Gordon (Tina Dawn) ensured that my 13yr old daughter was successful in her attempts giving support, yet allowing her independence to enjoy her first ever fishing trip. Adults - don't expect such an easy ride. Gordon will help you set up, catch your first fish and undo any line tangles but after he has taken the first fish off for you then it's get your hands dirty time - you grab that fish and unhook it - urrrghhh!!! All in all - fantastic for anyone (like myself) that has never done any fishing before. We caught about 25-30 mackies and enjoyed the friendly humourous banter that comes along with Whitby folk. You can keep the fish you catch or leave them on the boat - your choice. All in all - well worth £35 for me and my daughter. Thanks Dave, Riotstar and Juli for the info to get me on board!!

Reply to: Whitby fishing trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted