We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running route/tracks in Whitby (preferably on grass)

Which Whitby hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
reviews: 12
Running route/tracks in Whitby (preferably on grass)

I know - funny question. I'll be in Whitby later this week and am trying to find somewhere to keep up my training for my first 10K later in the year. Thing is, I'm not too good at running on concrete, so would prefer not to run on the pavement.

I see on Google Maps that Whitby Community College appears to have a running track. Would that be able to be used by the public (maybe after college hours)?

Any other suggestions? It can be out the slightly out-of-town, but not too far as I won't have a car. I'm only looking to do about 3 miles or so and its been so hard to build up any stamina, I don't really want to use the time away as an excuse to stop running. Trouble is, I signed up for the 10K after I'd booked the vacation.

Thanks.

Edited: 10:56 am, August 02, 2010
Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Running route/tracks in Whitby (preferably on grass)

Run on the beach, or along the cliff-top coastal path (Cleveland Way)..

York, United Kingdom
reviews: 66
2. Re: Running route/tracks in Whitby (preferably on grass)

Sandsend beach is a pretty long stretch when the tide is out and you will not be bothered by too many on lookers if you have to stop if you get short of puff and if you were doing really well you could exert yourself by attacking Lythe Bank.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
reviews: 12
3. Re: Running route/tracks in Whitby (preferably on grass)

"get short of puff" - never met you Englandsixpence, but you know me well already! That's the trouble with not being a 'proper runner' - I'll take any excuse to cop out of it. Already regretting signing up to the 10K.

A couple of days of proper fish and chips probably won't help the diet.

Thanks for the suggestions.

4. Re: Running route/tracks in Whitby (preferably on grass)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:05 am, January 30, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Whitby