We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in North Yorkshire

aaby
2 weeks in North Yorkshire

My boyfriend and I are planning a two-week holiday in North Yorkshire, this November. It's my first time planning a trip, and it will be his first time in the UK, as he lives in the USA, so I'm finding it pretty difficult. I'd just like to know if my plans so far or okay, and if I've missed any options.

We're planning to spend the first week in Whitby. I found that a 7 day ticket with Arriva buses is only £17, and gives unlimited travel to anywhere in North Yorkshire.

Is the week pass a good idea? ( I can't drive, I don't trust him driving and car hire would be too expensive for us).

So, for the first week, I was thinking that we could spend the time visiting places along the coast, such as Whitby, Scarborough, and Robin Hood's Bay.

Are there any other places that anyone can recommend?

The second week, we're considering moving further inland, such as York or Harrogate, and buying another weekly ticket to visit other places in North Yorkshire without having to travel as far as we would from Whitby.

Would it be much much easier than travelling from Whitby, or would it make very little difference?

Is the Yorkshire Coastliner the best way to travel to wherever we decide to stay the second week when we have all of our things to carry?

And can anyone recommend places to visit and things to do for the second week?

Also, I'd be very grateful if anyone knows of any example itineraries that would fit these plans (we'd like to spend a lot of time visiting castles and historical sites, and a little time walking).

And lastly, can anyone tell me of the best place along the coast to visit for Bonfire Night, and if Whitby Abbey has an entrance fee?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
reviews: 57
1. Re: 2 weeks in North Yorkshire

Whitby is great as a base. There is a charge for the Abbey, and it doesn't open every day - this website gives details

www.english-heritage.org.uk/whitbyabbey/

Robin Hoods Bay is beaitiful, and when you walk down the steep main street to the sea you have access up to the coastal path running north or south - both directions are well worth exploring, although I love the walk up to Ravenscar.

Scarborough is also great for a day out.

My slight concern is that you are visiting in November, a month not known for its kind weather. I hope you are lucky, but I think you need to consider some 'indoor' attractions and just hope for the best that you get some nice walking weather, as it is a beautiful area and you are so close to the Moors. Also many places close after the autumn school half term holidays in October so do check before visiting.

I am afraid I tend to drive everywhere so can't help much about your public transport questions. There are some other lovely places in the vicinity but I am not sure how you would reach them without a car. For example Rievaulx Abbey, or the Yorkshire Dales. However, the Arriva ticket sounds a bargain.

I would recommend a day out on the North Yorks Moors Railway

www.nymr.demon.co.uk

I live in Harrogate and think I would recommend York for you as a base, if I had to choose between the two. York has excellent rail links as well as being a beautiful city to explore. If the weather was poor there are Museumsetc especially the Railway Museum which is free to enter and just brilliant, whether you like trains or not. I am not saying Harrogate isn't nice, just that I think York would suit you more as a base, and would be more practical.

Castle Howard is a definite must see, but again it isn't open all the way through November.

www.castlehoward.co.uk

Fountains Abbey is a World Heritage site which stays open all year.

www.fountainsabbey.org.uk

You could easily catch a train from York to Durham, or maybe to Newcastle. Lots to see in these places. Or you could be in London in 2 hours if you fancied a day trip to the capital?

There is no bus direct from York to Harrogate, but the train takes about 40 minutes.

I hope I've been able to assist but do get back to me if you have any questions. We also have a couple of excellent York experts on here who might be able to help you more with your transport queries.

M

aaby
2. Re: 2 weeks in North Yorkshire

Thanks a lot for your help. I know the weather could be bad, but I couldn't find anything indoors, and we can't visit any earlier than November. The places you've suggested have been very helpful, although I live near Newcastle and Durham myself, and the price of a train ticket to London is too expensive for us. We're aiming for around £10 a day on entrance fees, and hopefully no more travel expenses than what I've planned for already.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
3. Re: 2 weeks in North Yorkshire

<<< the price of a train ticket to London is too expensive for us. >>>

It's from about £10 each way if booked over the GNER website

Yorkshire
reviews: 30
4. Re: 2 weeks in North Yorkshire

Dont forget to include Kingston Upon Hull.

Not a location that springs to mind but ticks a lot of tourist boxes especially for people from the USA.

This year the city is celebrating the 200 year anniversary of the abolishion of slavery by William Wilberforce. If you use York as your base you may be able to use your bus pass on the X46 express bus link from the centre of York to the centre of Hull in around 80 minutes. As well as seeing Wilberforce's House nearby there are the Streetlife museum, The Whaling museum, quaint cobbled streets, The Deep and several others

check out my profile for inside pages on Hull and links to web pages for the above.

If funds allow why not suprise him with a mini cruise to Belgium or Holland using P and O ferries sailing from Hull. They regularly have a promotion running in November where two travel for the price of one - usually @£60. Not bad for two nights on the ferry and a bus into Brugge or Amsterdam . Meals are extra on the ferry but many take provisions with them. Tickets go on sale at the start of October and sell quickly.

Nottingham
reviews: 6
5. Re: 2 weeks in North Yorkshire

Ty Filey for a day trip - totally unspoilt - and for the last two years I have been eating ice -creams on the beach, the last week in October in t-shirts!!

C

x

UK
reviews: 89
6. Re: 2 weeks in North Yorkshire

A week in Whitby in November? Your storm/rain gear will cost more than your bus ticket! Are you doing tis so that all future holidays (especially the weather) will look good by comparison? :-)

7. Re: 2 weeks in North Yorkshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, September 05, 2009