We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap/free parking in Norwich

Which Norwich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 50
cheap/free parking in Norwich

Hi,

I'm working in Norwich this coming Saturday, and wondered if anyone here could advise me on the cheapest parking options please? I'll be working at the Playhouse Theatre, St Georges St, and I'll be planning to arrive at about 3pm, and leaving at about 11.30pm.

I'm happy to walk for about 15 minutes in order to save money on the parking. I know that in central London it's possible to get free roadside parking all day on a Saturday (if you know where to go), and I'm hoping the same applies to Norwich.

Thanks for your help.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 64
1. Re: cheap/free parking in Norwich

Parking is pretty tightly controlled in Norwich and many streets have pay and display meters until 6:30 even on a Saturday. Some are by resident permit.

There's parking information including maps of the controlled areas here;

norwich.gov.uk/TransportAndStreets/Parking/P…

I usually use the P&R these days, but buses stop at 18:30 or 20:30 depending which one.

Pay and display parking shouldn't need to cost more than about £5 - I normally use Rouen Street to park nearer the city centre, though St Crispins is a bit cheaper, for example, and about 15 minutes walk to the theatre.

norwich.gov.uk/TransportAndStreets/Parking/P…

I guess some locals may know of other places. Industrial estate areas might work, or near the football ground? Not sure how safe they are?

London
2. Re: cheap/free parking in Norwich

Hi g0akc,

Thanks for all that information. It's useful to know the time that the pay and display stops. I think that option is likely to work out cheaper than the car parks, as they seem to have an evening charge as well as the daytime charge, and most seem quite expensive. As you point out, it looks like I finish too late to take advantage of the park and ride. Thanks again.

London
3. Re: cheap/free parking in Norwich

g0akc, can I just check I've got the correct road for your second suggestion please? Did you mean St. Crispins Road is the other place that has pay and display parking, but which is further away, and therefore cheaper? Looking on google maps, it appears that this road is much closer to the Playhouse Theatre than the other one so would be ideal.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
4. Re: cheap/free parking in Norwich

I meant St.Crispins Road. It's at point A on this map

http://goo.gl/maps/vTyWP

As a pedestrian you do not actually have to do the loop Google maps shows - there is a walkthrough onto the main road near the roundabout.

It's fairly close for you, not sure if it's the closest - I just use Rouen Road as it's convenient for my usual route into Norwich and usually has spaces.

The list of council run car parks is in the link I gave earlier. I must stress I'm no expert on Norwich - only go there occasionally for a change of shops etc. I do know parking is a challenge. One can sometimes get away with parking at Sainsburys but not sure about your hours. For £4 its not worth risking a fine or wheel clamp etc.

London
5. Re: cheap/free parking in Norwich

Thanks again. The reason I questioned St Crispins Road is because it looks like a dual carriageway on Google street view, but I'll definitely check it out when I get there! And if it's not good I'll head to Rouen Road. £4.00 seem pretty good value to me anyway.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
6. Re: cheap/free parking in Norwich

the car park entrance is off a side road - look carefully at the google map and zoom in

London
7. Re: cheap/free parking in Norwich

I understand now, I was thinking of a roadside parking pay and display! I'll look out for a car park on that road.

London
8. Re: cheap/free parking in Norwich

If I'm not mistaken, the entrance to the St Crispins Road car park is at the bottom of Chatham St. That looks ideal to me. Thanks again.

Yaxley, Suffolk
reviews: 2
9. Re: cheap/free parking in Norwich

My reply may be a bit late for you but another option is to park in Chapelfield shopping centre car park. If you arrive after 3pm then the charge is a flat rate of £2 and lasts until 8am the next morning. You can exit the car park at any time 24 hours a day. The playhouse is only a ten minute walk from the car park. See link below:

http://intuchapelfield.co.uk/Getting-Here/

10. Re: cheap/free parking in Norwich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 30, 2014