We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

Which Norwich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
reviews: 2
Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult just to use this "little" airport???

Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

OOH a Quiz, I love them......

Stowmarket, United...
reviews: 20
2. Re: Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

Because you get to use a local regional airport rather than travel to a larger airport...having said that we only luve across border in Suffolk near Diss, but never fly from Norwich.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
reviews: 23
3. Re: Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

Flights from Norwich on most routes are usually so expensive anyway that the £10 charge is a drop in the ocean by comparison! I assume that the airport was intended primarily for business people on expense accounts.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
4. Re: Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

(guesses) If it's not some kind of AIF I will give up chocolate .... for a day. YVR put a 'temporary' airport improvement fee in place more than 20 years ago to help defray the cost of a car park. The car park was built and is still in use. Guess what else is still in place? Infrastructure won't maintain itself (rolls eyes and reaches for Dairy Milk).

Norfolk
reviews: 111
5. Re: Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

There are one or two other minor airports which use this model. At Norwich they used to boast that it paid for such luxuries as toilets, safety facilities and information screens (which have adverts - presumably paid for!). Passenger numbers have fallen since it was introduced, but they won't worry about this if profits are acceptable.

Potential passengers from the south and west of the area have easy alternatives, but east and north do not. If you factor £10 each onto your holiday cost it hardly makes any difference, and would certainly cost me far more to travel to Stansted or Luton.

It is also a much easier to use airport and generally has good flight times as it closes at night. For me I can be home one hour after landing.

A warning using Thomson flights from NWI - if you are first or last flight of the short season - you can be on a shared flight. Some friends last year, flew home from Ibiza via Aberdeen and had to go through security there having Duty Free confiscated before flying to NWI, some 3 hours later than planned.

DEREHAM UK
reviews: 29
6. Re: Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

You have probably had an answer by now - but just in case...It is fully explained at the desk where you have to buy the £10.00 "levy". Apparently they don't get enough from the airlines, the concessions, you and me to actually "develop" the airport..! So in consequence they have this "tax" which by-and-large is paid for by those using the airport mainly for business through their "expenses". BUT like you, the individual has to pay the £10.00 whether you like it or not.! Annoyingly they is no set date for this "tax" to be removed (i.e when will the airport be developed enough.?) - in fact within the last review they increased it from £5.00 to £10.00.!! Not the best way to attract customers to Norwich Airport..!

DEREHAM UK
reviews: 29
7. Re: Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

You have probably had an answer by now - but just in case...It is fully explained at the desk where you have to buy the £10.00 "levy". Apparently they don't get enough from the airlines, the concessions, you and me to actually "develop" the airport..! So in consequence they have this "tax" which by-and-large is paid for by those using the airport mainly for business through their "expenses". BUT like you, the individual has to pay the £10.00 whether you like it or not.! Annoyingly they is no set date for this "tax" to be removed (i.e when will the airport be developed enough.?) - in fact within the last review they increased it from £5.00 to £10.00.!! Not the best way to attract customers to Norwich Airport..!

Yaxley, Suffolk
reviews: 2
8. Re: Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

I live just over the border near Diss also and would now only consider Norwich as a last resort choice. Flight and holiday prices cost more from Norwich and getting to the airport across Norwich can be a nightmare from the South. Much easier and cheaper for us to go to Stansted or Southend. The £10 tax is also a rip off. It’s not like the airport has many shops, bars, restaurants to go in. And it’s hardly making any progress on expanding the airport or flights. This is a real shame though as once you land you can be out of the airport very quickly. Lot of people who I work with in Norwich use it every year for their holidays as it’s so convenient and the extra holiday cost is offset by not having to drive down and park at one of the London airports. However I do wonder whether expansion will happen when they finally build the Northern bypass which will make it easier to get to for many people

Norwich, United...
reviews: 121
9. Re: Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

I fly from Norwich very occasionally but you can certainly see improvements in the departure areas/toilets since the charge was brought in as before they were actually pretty grim to say the least. I generally don't find Norwich flights very cheap though and as airline choice is limited for a city break it is normally Stansted or Luton we head to. When the dual carriageway is complete from Elveden to Barton Mills the time it takes to get from Norwich to Stansted is going to be reduced further making the journey little more than an hour really.

It is lovely coming back into Norwich on a flight and knowing I have a 5 minute journey home but until prices fall, I'll stick with STN....

Southampton
reviews: 24
10. Re: Why do Norwich Airport charge £10.00 per adult?

Newquay and Tees Valley have this charge also.