We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at Norwich station

Which Norwich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Great Yarmouth...
reviews: 28
Parking at Norwich station

The multi-storey car park opposite Norwich railway station has increased its charges for rail passengers from £6 per day to £20. This came in on April 1st and the surface car park is short stay. (last time I looked it was £17.50 per day)

I'm going on a day trip from Norwich station later this month and would welcome suggestions for alternative options. I'm too far away for a taxi, but refuse to pay the £20 out of principle. You can park in London for less.

43 replies to this topic
Stowmarket, United...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Parking at Norwich station

Could you not use one of the park and rides? Even if late a 'local' bus will stop at the p and r?

Great Yarmouth...
2. Re: Parking at Norwich station

That's a thought.....the p n r buses stop at 6pm and few are served by local buses, but If push comes to shove I could get a taxi to the p n r. With the cost of the p n r and the taxi, i might be getting close to the £20 all day parking fee, so any more suggestions would be welcomed. (Thanks Ichap)

Southport, United...
3. Re: Parking at Norwich station

Could you get a train in from a nearby station that has parking?

UK
reviews: 148
4. Re: Parking at Norwich station

Hi, if you are based in Great Yarmouth, why not take the train from Yarmouth to Norwich and avoid the high fees there, I don't believe the buses on the x1 pass near that's why I'm suggesting the train from the start.

Great Yarmouth...
5. Re: Parking at Norwich station

I'm not actually in Gt Y, it was just the nearest town on the tripadvisor list! I'm in the middle of nowhere but actually only about 25 minute drive from Norwich station. It would be possible to use another station; park there and take the train to Norwich, but it would be really inconvenient.

i'd welcome affordable parking suggestions for Norwich if there are any.

Broadland
reviews: 82
6. Re: Parking at Norwich station

I'm not aware of any way to minimise paying to park near Norwich Station. Gy is little better as the parking that is by the car wash is now administered by NCP (I think) - there's never a car there now when it always used to be packed!

Most stations on the Wherry line have free parking, except possibly Acle. Last time I picked up someone there I noticed markings but don't recollect seeing any pay points. In the end the choice is yours, pay up the 20 quid, use P&R or use one of the intermediate stations to get to Norwich

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Norwich
reviews: 126
7. Re: Parking at Norwich station

I can see a charge of £20 on leisure parking for over 24 hours but I still see reference to £6 validated at station and £8 non validated for rail users 0-24 hours.

Surely there is no way they would charge a rail user £20 to park at Norwich Station for 5 hours+?

I think there is either some confusion here or total madness on the part of the car park provider at Riverside. I go for the former but please excuse me if I am wrong. You can understand the station forecourt charges as they are trying to dissuade long stay parking.

Norwich, United...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Parking at Norwich station

The charge has indeed been increased to £20 per day. It used to be £8 but you could validated your ticket at the station and would be charged £6. This is a privately owned car park and they are free to charge what they want. They feel they can make more from visitors to the Riverside complex than train commuters.

Nearest car parking to station - either Lower Clarence Road (£6 per day 5 mins walk around 350 spaces) or Rose Lane multi story (Around £6, 10 mins walk around 300 spaces. both fill up quickly.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Norwich
reviews: 126
9. Re: Parking at Norwich station

I completely missed this in the local press so please ignore my previous response.

Disappointment doesn't do it justice.

Broadland
reviews: 82
10. Re: Parking at Norwich station

It would seem confusion and misunderstanding reigns.

http://bit.ly/10UARp5

The link is for the April 1st updated statement about parking at Riverside. The statement quite clearly shows rail parking at £6/£8.

When all else fails, read the instructions........ :-)

Reply to: Parking at Norwich station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted