We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets to Bath

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
reviews: 35
Train tickets to Bath

We will be in London the first week of October and are planning a day trip to Bath. Should we buy our tickets ahead of time? I would rather wait so that we can be flexible on days, but I don't know if we would save money by booking early. I find the National Rail site confusing on this issue. The cheapest tickets I see are 24 pounds each way. But maybe I have the wrong destination. You are given a choice of Bath Spa or Bath Gate stations. Help!

London, United...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Train tickets to Bath

If you are going from Paddington you want to go to Bath Spa, First Great Western (the people who run the trains from London to Bath) have recently introduced a new policy that the earlier you book, the cheaper it will be, you will pay to retain the flexibility of booking later. their new website is:

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/BuyTickets.aspx

it explains about the different ticket options

La Rochelle
reviews: 14
2. Re: Train tickets to Bath

There is only one station in Bath - Bath Spa. Bathgate is another city altogether.

You will most certainly save money by buying your tickets in advance. Check the available fares here: http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/

Austin
3. Re: Train tickets to Bath

Thanks so much. I can see that there is an 18 pound 1 way if I book far enough ahead. It looks like what "far enough ahead" is, though, is anyone's guess.

La Rochelle
4. Re: Train tickets to Bath

There will be a rule attached to the £18 ticket as to how far ahead you need to book. You could give them a quick call and ask. Alternatively try booking a ticket for tomorrow, then one for two days' time, then a week's time (but obviously don't go through with the booking). This will give you a rough idea of what fares are likely to available. Keep in mind that some fares aren't available during peak times, i.e. before 10 AM on a weekday.

Toronto
5. Re: Train tickets to Bath

I am also planning a day trip to Bath Spa and have already purchased my ticket from Paddington via First Great Western. Depending on how far in advance you purchase and what time of day you are coming and going, the price can be very reasonable. I bought an outgoing ticket for 13.50pounds for 10am and returning at 6pm for 9pounds. I will be travelling in late September and purchased the tickets two weeks ago, so hopefully that gives you an idea of time/price.

Austin
6. Re: Train tickets to Bath

Great idea. You guys are the best.

Austin
7. Re: Train tickets to Bath

MuiMui,

What day of the week did you book you tickets for? I was trying for a Sunday, so they might be more expensive.

Toronto
8. Re: Train tickets to Bath

Also wanted to add that I could have gotten my outbound trip for 9pounds, but that would mean that I would have to leave at 9am. Seeing that I tend to like to sleep in, I took the later train.

Toronto
9. Re: Train tickets to Bath

preironic,

I am travelling on a Monday, which I guess would most likely be cheaper than Sunday. I was told to try to avoid Bath on the weekends as the crowds would be quite large. But in your case, October may not be so bad. Have fun!!

La Rochelle
10. Re: Train tickets to Bath

I don't see why Monday would be cheaper than Sunday. Quite the opposite, I'd say.