We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Sheffield by train

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 7
London to Sheffield by train

I am taking side trip in mid-July from London to Sheffield. I assume taking the train is the most efficient way to go...it'll probably be one-way. Any recommendations on when to buy tickets or what website or location to buy from? A couple days ago I checked National Rail Enquiries and they were only 17 GBP for 1 adult 1 child and today they are 34.50 GBP. Do I need to buy early, just wait until I need them? Any recommendations at all are appreciated! :)

14 replies to this topic
Yorkshire, England
reviews: 17
11. Re: London to Sheffield by train

East Midlands Trains run a direct service from London St Pancras to Sheffield every 30 mins with a journey time of just over 2 hours. So, yes, East Midlands Trains is your best and only choice for a direct train.

Book ahead for a cheap ticket, about 3 months before you intend to travel.

You can actually book the tickets via any train operator for the same price, but keep it simple and use the East Midlands Trains website.

Enjoy Sheffield, if is a great city!

Houston, Texas
reviews: 7
12. Re: London to Sheffield by train

Thanks again! I was putting in Paddington, as i'm not familiar with the different stations.

London
reviews: 35
13. Re: London to Sheffield by train

>>> Thanks again! I was putting in Paddington, as i'm not familiar with the different stations. <<<

If you don't know which London terminal you need, just enter 'London' or 'London (all)', something like that. That will tell you which London terminal the train departs from.

Putting in a terminal from which the train does not depart will add on an Underground ticket, which you may neither want nor need. It might also give you some bizarre routeing.

Edited: 6:50 am, March 28, 2014
Cotswolds
14. Re: London to Sheffield by train

<<You can actually book the tickets via any train operator for the same price, but keep it simple and use the East Midlands Trains website.>>

East Midlands do offer a lower price on their own website - £1 a ticket off. OK not much but still cheaper

Reply to: London to Sheffield by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted