We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Campinas, SP
reviews: 2
Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

Hello!

I bought a ticket to my mother for the "Tchaikovsky Gala" concert - performed by Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at Royal Albert Hall, on May 10th - 19:30h (Saturday).

What is the dress code for females (late 60's) for this concert?

Thanks once again, members of this excellent forum!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
reviews: 12
1. Re: Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

According to the website of the RAH on Dress Code: "Please dress as you like. There is no dress code for the majority of shows at the Hall and if a dress code is required for a particular performance, you will be notified on your tickets." royalalberthall.com/visit/…default.aspx

So, assuming there's nothing mentioned on the tickets - I'd opt for 'smart casual' (unless she feels like dressing up a little, but I wouldn't say black tie is required).

Manchester, United...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

Indeed, nothing too formal. Some people will make an event of it and dress smarter, some will be rather casual.

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 8
3. Re: Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

We've been to several of the classical concerts at RAH and you see a mix of dress, but most are dressed in smart casual to semi-formal.

We went to the Tchaikovsky Gala last year and it was very enjoyable. I love going to concerts at RAH.

4. Re: Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, February 11, 2014
London
reviews: 61
5. Re: Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

Any real musicians in the audience will probably be wearing jeans and looking scruffy! The people in the expensive seats might make a bit of effort. Whatever you wear I'm sure you'll blend in.

Edited: 2:39 pm, February 11, 2014
London, United...
reviews: 491
6. Re: Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

Although there is no dress code, smart casual would be better for your mom's special occasion! Sorry I am not into jeans if I go to ROH.

Essex
reviews: 71
7. Re: Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

But OP is going to the Albert Hall, which is not quite the same thing...

London, United...
reviews: 491
8. Re: Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

Oops, yes, it should be RAH not ROH. Anyway, it is good for his mom to dress up bit!

Sheffield
reviews: 101
9. Re: Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

Dress up, take her by cab, conduct her to decent seats. Feed her a decent dinner before and cocktails afterwards. She's your mother!

And given her antique age, take her to a bop the following night - We Will Rock You for instance. She will wear you out.

London
reviews: 267
10. Re: Dress code - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - RAH

I tend to agree with Neil. However, performances of this sort tend not to attract the same sort of audience that one might normally find at the Royal Festival Hall or the Barbican. One of these gala concerts at the RAH tends to be a bit more of a special occasion thing than the more traditional concert format, so I think that people who go to them will tend to dress up a bit more than you would expect for the more serious classical programmes.