We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Express / Gatwick Express from Lancaster Gate

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin
reviews: 11
National Express / Gatwick Express from Lancaster Gate

Hi all,

We are leaving London on 16 March and flying out of Gatwick. I was thinking we could get the Gatwick Express train, however, have been advised that the Gatwick Express will not be operating on 16 March! So I was just wondering is the Gatwick Express and National Rail the same? I have just done the journey planner for 16 March on National Rail and it says that it will take 1 hr 10 mins from Lancaster Gate to Gatwick. I really want to avoid using a taxi/hire car transfer if the trains are running - as the cost is ridiculous. I can see that National Rail is 18.90 pounds per adult, but can't find anywhere that says how much children are (as we are travelling 2 adults, 3 children)?

Thanks,

Rachel

4 replies to this topic
London
reviews: 31
1. Re: National Express / Gatwick Express from Lancaster Gate

There are no Gatwick Express trains on Sunday 16th March due to engineering work. However Southern Railway will be running trains between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport to a revised timetable, using an alternative route. The journey will take about an hour as a result and there would be potential for further delays, so allow extra time - building in an extra hour or 90 minutes would be prudent.

The Southern Railway trains are cheaper too. Two adults and three children will travel on a 'Groupsave' ticket, which allows up to four people travelling together to travel for the price of two adults, and the third child will travel for an extra £1.00 only (free if he/she is under 5). According to the Southern Railway website, that makes a total of £31.00 for all of you, one-way London Victoria to Gatwick Airport. And you don't need to buy the ticket in advance, you can get it at Victoria Station on the day.

National Rail is the body which oversees most of the mainland UK's rail network. It doesn't actually operate any trains.

Edited: 6:48 am, February 01, 2014
Kent, UK
reviews: 9
2. Re: National Express / Gatwick Express from Lancaster Gate

>>National Rail is the body which oversees most of the mainland UK's rail network. It doesn't actually operate any trains.<<

Actually, "National Rail" is just a brand name used by ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies) for passenger rail services in Great Britain.

Darwin
reviews: 11
3. Re: National Express / Gatwick Express from Lancaster Gate

Thanks so much I'll have a look at the southern rail website.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 26
4. Re: National Express / Gatwick Express from Lancaster Gate

With five of you and luggage this is one time when I think you should consider a pre booked car that would take you door to door. Traffic on a Sunday won't be as bad as during the week and by the time you add the cot of getting from Lancaster Gate to Victoria by taxi, the overall cost won't be that much more.

Reply to: National Express / Gatwick Express from Lancaster Gate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted