We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 147
Help Please

We plan to be in London for a week in late October. We need a nice hotel in a central area as we plan to see museums and plays (musicals) with the occasional drive out of the city. So here are my questions:

Best hotel and locations?

How to best book excellent seats at plays/musicals?

Good live rock music in town at that time? How to book?

Is there an agency that handles all this>

Are there tips on tube transport, cabs, etc., that we need to know?

Thank you all for your help. If you ever head to Portland, Oregon I will help you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
11. Re: Help Please

Try www.theatremonkey.com for hints on seats at theatres (pros and cons, mentions of restricted view seats, and info on how to get to and from theatres).

A seven day Travelcard for zones 1 and 2 (you can't buy a card for zone 1 only) will cost you just £22.20, and will be money well spent. You'll get unlimited use of tube, buses and the DLR, plus a discount on river trips, if you wish to have a look at London from the Thames. Black cabs fares are governed by the Public Carriage Office, and are offer considerably better fares than minicabs - plus, they're a great way to be taken for a ride.

Time Out lists the following shows (plus more) for October: Lyle Lovett at the RAH, The Stranglers at Shepherd's Bush Empire, the Moody Blues at the RAH, Level 42 at the RAH, Ray Davies at the RAH, New Order at Wembley Arena, The D@mned (plus more) at Shepherd's Bush Empire - and Tom Jones at Wembley Arena. Check venue websites for more info - the Hammersmith Apollo may also offer shows that will tickle your fancy.

London
reviews: 104
12. Re: Help Please

Tips on tube transport :

Stand on the right on escalators. This is most important to Londoners! If you would like to walk up the escalator, do this on the left.

If you are unsure of which direction you are going in, step to one side whilst you work it out. Try not to bunch up at the bottom or top of escalators, or at platform entrances. Londoners march along single mindedly when heading for their train, and you will soon develop this skill!

Allow people off the train first, and mind the gap between the train and the platform edge.

At busy times, to increase your chances of getting a seat on the tube, head to the far ends of platforms. Also move along the carriage once on the train so as to allow more people to get on the train.

There are lots of staff in central London tube stations. You will often find one on a platform wearing a uniform, and you will always find staff manning the gates (to allow pushchairs and luggage through). They will advise you on any problems you might have.

To look like a local, whip out some reading material the second you are on the tube.

Hope that makes you look like a pro!

NYC
reviews: 4
13. Re: Help Please

What marvelous tips there are to your questions ... Have a fabulous trip and let us know afterwards with a trip report ... those of us who don't get to travel as frequently as we might like value the reports so very highly.

Ta. MMM!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
reviews: 147
14. Re: Help Please

You all totally rock! Thank you so much for your tips. It's the same the whole world over. Nice people are nice people. I am so fortunate to have your advice!

UK
reviews: 2
15. Re: Help Please

Even at today's rate approx £ sterling 288 you should hav emore choice than the Marriott or the Mountcalm neithe rof which stir the dligh buds with all due respect to others.the rec r of web site ot small hotles is excellent advice.

Avoid anything with Hilton in it especially th eoen in Park Lane whihv from,m th etop floor restaurant one can see HM the Queens Garden.

Good hols Gerlis

Dublin
reviews: 93
16. Re: Help Please

mamababoo, you might also wanrt to check out the hotels section of this forum and especially the reviews of the Sofitel St James. It has received a number of high calibre reviews and appears to be a seriously good hotel. Average price is quoted as $ 502. But I'm sure they must do deals, especially if you're staying for an entire week. Have a great trip.

Peterborough...
17. Re: Help Please

Hi,

St James Sofitel is a fantastic hotel. I stayed there for my birthday in April. Rack rate was around £450 however if you look on lastminute.com they offer rates from around £175. They also have the 'mybed' concept which I can guarantee will be the most comforatable bed you will ever have slept on. (I am currently saving to purchase my own!)

St James Sofitel is around the corner from Buckingham Palace and walking distance into the west end.

Alternatively I could recommend Claridges in Mayfair.

Have a fab time!

Kittyx

UK
reviews: 2
18. Re: Help Please

arnaboo will remember if ever come to Portland.

Of hotels with all due respect to the contributions from transatlantic contributors I wouldn't stay at Mariott if it were free nor Montcalm.

Chesterfield yes I could tolerate the Washington too.. If i were you I would try not to move too far out of Mayfair or Knightsbridge.

I seldom do.Quick lunch at the Caprice snack in Rivoli bar Ritz

set lunch at Mirabelle. Pop to where all is moving WBO west Bond st Knightsbrige - Sloane street Horrids store if you must - now like a Bazaar. Sloane st M.Valentino Harvey Nicks don't eat there awful..Quick Lunch at Drones

If dollar goes up unlikely then keep eye open for Berkeley Hotel . Theatres perhaps you can google on Times or Guardain paper for any reviews. Good hols Gerlis

19. Re: Help Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:32 am, August 16, 2009