We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 3
Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

We will be staying in rye for 3 days and are thinking about making a day trip to an typically English seaside town. Can you recommend one of the above and whether it is worth the effort given that we only have 3 days

Edinburgh, United...
1. Re: Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

I would suggest you to go for Brighton. It is a beautiful place to explore.

Edited: 5:49 am, November 29, 2013
East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
reviews: 16
2. Re: Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

As per your earlier thread, if you're going to Brighton, really, dont take the car. It's easy to do by train from Rye.

Very different places - Brighton bigger, more bohemian with lots to see.

Hastings a bit grittier, but probably more authentic these days for that traditional seaside experience. The Old Town is nice and the country Park excellent. The nearest to Rye.

Eastbourne is a bit more sedate but still has plenty of students around and of course the beauty of Beachy Head and The Seven Sisters on its doorstep. Interestingly, the recent version of Brighton Rock was filmed there rather than Brighton itself.

Mike

Edited: 6:10 am, November 29, 2013
East Sussex, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

In my opinion all three are worthy of a visit for differing reasons. You don't say what time of year you are planning this trip, or how you plan to travel but congratulations on choosing Rye.

Hastings would be an obvious choice due to it's proximity to Rye and although some may say it is somewhat faded I disagree. The Old Town and the Stade with it's beach based fishing fleet is worthy of mention. It is also home to Hastings Country Park and the highly recommened Alexandra Park.

Approximately 22 miles along the coast Eastbourne retains much of it's charm and is the starting point of the spectacular Seven Sisters Country Park as you head west. The first encounter will be Beachy Head.

Further west still is Brighton which is now officially a City, and as such is a vibrant and cosmopolitan location with many attractions.

There are a few regular local posters on TA who will no doubt be along shortly to offer far more detailed advice and information. Enjoy

East Sussex, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

I see Argyle Mikey beat me to it. I can't type so fast these days !

5. Re: Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, May 15, 2014
London, United...
reviews: 21
6. Re: Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

I've done day trips to all 3 in the last 2 years...

It depends what you want - if more 'authentic' seaside town - Hastings.

However, Brighton is possibly more fun (more attractions, independent shops, things to do etc), but is a lot bigger, busier and a lot more bohemian. It hasn't really got the 'small seaside town' feel that Hastings and Eastborne have.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
7. Re: Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

I have never been to Hastings but have been to Brighton and Eastbourne and really like Brighton and we always stop off for a couple of days when we're in the UK.

Sheffield
reviews: 101
8. Re: Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

When you have decided, post again and Mikey will suggest the best pub(s). He knows you know.

He might also recommend a visit to Lewes (also by train) which is inland but charming.

Edited: 10:08 am, November 29, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 62
9. Re: Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

I like Brighton a lot, but there's a reason it's called "London-on-sea": it's very cosmopolitan. Yes, the old pier is still there and there are other seaside town accoutrements, but it's also famous for its gay scene, lefty/eco-politics and arts scene.

Eastbourne is much more of what I would think of as a traditional seaside town. It also has a pier but it feels more like a town than like a city.

I've never been to Hastings but used to have a friend who lived there who didn't have many good things to say about it, but I've never been there so can't comment from first hand knowledge.

Sheffield
reviews: 101
10. Re: Brighton, Eastbourne or Hastings

If you choose Hastings then do have fish and chips at Maggie's which is over the fish market. The best in Britain and therefore the world.