We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, New South...
reviews: 15
No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

Hi,

My family and I (4 people) are arriving at Gatwick airport on 29 Dec 2013, but Gatwick Express is not running during that period because of trackwork. I tried searching alternative trains on Southern and First Capital Connect websites, but the results which came up were around 1 1/2hr journeys. We will be staying at the Thistle Euston hotel and convenience is the key consideration. Should we book a private transfer instead? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

There would be no benefit in taking the GEX on any Sunday, planned works notwithstanding.

The road trek from Gatwick to central London will take as long as the rail / replacement bus services on 29 December and cost considerably more. Rather than travel to Victoria, look to a journey to St Pancras station. You may take the replacement bus from the airport to East Grinstead and change there to a train to East Croydon. Take that train to London St Pancras with the Thistle Euston about a 10 minute walk from the station.

Travel time is 90 minutes with the fare £7.40 per person, but GroupSave fares are available which means the four of you may travel from Gatwick to St Pancras for just £14.80. No need to book in advance, just buy on the day. www.nationalrail.co.uk for more information.

Sydney, New South...
2. Re: No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

Thank you TravellerPlus! I am so sorry but I just realised our plane arrives at London Southend airport not Gatwick, I have just wasted several hours researching transport from Gatwick. Do you have good tips for Southend as well?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 27
3. Re: No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

Trains from Southend Airport to central London will be running on December 29th. Two trains per hour with a journey time to Liverpool Street of about 65 minutes. Single adult fare is £14.90 with no savings for advance purchase.

From Liverpool Street take a taxi or the Circle tube line clockwise to Euston Square from where your hotel is just a short walk.

London
reviews: 33
4. Re: No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

What time do you arrive into SEN? The last train can be too early if you're on the last arriving flight of the day.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 27
5. Re: No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

If you're arriving on an easyJet flight, you can buy your train ticket onboard for no extra cost, so you can save some time and hassle at the airport. You can then either get in a taxi outside the station (fare roughly £12), or jump on the tube, taking either a Metropolitan, Hammersmith and City, or Circle line train, and alighting at Euston square.

Sydney, New South...
6. Re: No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

Great, thanks a lot everyone! We are arriving at 6:05pm so trains should be all good.

Geneva, Switzerland
7. Re: No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

Hello TravellerPlus,

I'm just curious, why do you say "There would be no benefit in taking the GEX on any Sunday, planned works notwithstanding."? Just to know. I'm often come to London and in case next time I come on Sunday I'd like to know why I should avoid the GEX.

By the way, I have the same issue as Anyastasia, travelling on December 26 (back on 30th) from Gatwick to Victoria I don't know what to do. What do you suggest? Should I just take a bus to East Grinstead (which bus? Will it be written "GEX replacement bus to London"?) and then take the train to St Pancras too?

I'll be from Geneva with two Brazilian friends and I'm already already disappointed about this issue :-(

Thanks for your support and advice.

Best regards,

cédric

London, United...
reviews: 58
8. Re: No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

The reason not to take GEX is that it is considerably more expensive than the normal Southern trains services that serve Gatwick for a time savings of 5-10 minutes at most.

Much of the UK rail network is shut down on 26 December because it is Boxing Day even when there are no track works goind on.

The Southern trains and GEX websites should have information about the replacement bus services that are being put on over the closure period.

Edited: 6:09 am, November 29, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
9. Re: No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

Cedric, here is a link that has information that may be useful for you: tripadvisor.ca/…53149472

As with other travellers, if your destination is not near Victoria then consider First Capital Connect services which may be more useful for you. With three travelling, look for GroupSave fares as well.

Geneva, Switzerland
10. Re: No Gatwick Express due to trackwork - what to do instead?

Thanks so much TravellerPlus. Yes, the apartment I rented is located exactly at Pimlico station (one station from Victoria). In that case I have to reach Victoria at the end... I will immediately check the link you posted.

Best regards,

cédric