We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin trains 1st class?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southport, United...
reviews: 84
Virgin trains 1st class?

Booked our return journey first-class from Euston to Liverpool, Lime st.

Can anyone tell me what you get in first class that is different, apart from the different coach.

I Believe its different on a sunday.

Thanks for any help

Oh, also, how do we get to the tube line from Euston entrance to the tube for leicster square?

Thanks again, as always

28 replies to this topic
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 65
11. Re: Virgin trains 1st class?

IMO there are too many First Class carriages on the Virgin Trains Pendelino's.

On busy services you have people, including women with babies in buggies, stood at the end of carriages in Standard Class, while the 4 First Class carriages have a handful of people in them!

Just make the whole train Standard Class, reduce the fares, and us plebs will be able to sit alongside the toffs and annoy them; quietly of course. ;-)

P.S. and yes, I have travelled in First Class, but only because the Advance ticket I bought was cheaper han in Standard Class - and I had to walk to the buffet car to get my free cup of coffee. No free biscuits, newspapers or other snacks were available. Not that it bothered me, but the loo roll in the First Class toilets is the same as in Standard Class! ;-D

Edited: 2:52 pm, September 30, 2013
London, England...
reviews: 10
12. Re: Virgin trains 1st class?

One note about their Wi-Fi. I booked a return ticket London - Manchester / 1st class and on board Wi-Fi was useless.

The problem wasn't the actual Wi-Fi signal which was very good inside the carriage. It was the Internet connection that was really poor. I strongly suspect it uses a 3G/4G connection which is then shared between users on the train. And in areas where there is no 3G/4G, no luck!

Simply said, I couldn't do any work that required an Internet connection. Send and receive emails is pretty much it.

reviews: 12
13. Re: Virgin trains 1st class?

The only difference you pay more....

Kent, UK
reviews: 9
14. Re: Virgin trains 1st class?

>>t uses a 3G/4G connection<<

How else would it work?

>>The only difference you pay more....<<

No it's not.

Strongsville
reviews: 33
15. Re: Virgin trains 1st class?

We just got back from London and we took Virgin first class from Euston to Manchester for a futbol/soccer game. The difference in cost wasnt that much, it was on a Saturday so included was a snack box with quite a few different things. There was a small bottle of water, small orange juice, chips, cookies, some chocolate, trail mix. So glad we went first class, there were seven of us and it was very roomy and comfortable. They have a food car where we purchased some beer and wine.

Knutsford, United...
reviews: 285
16. Re: Virgin trains 1st class?

Just returning from London to Manchester first class. The only good thing about it is the price. £38 for an advanced booking.

You get a snack box full of indescribable crap and eventually you get an orange juice or a coke. The hot drinks and the booze were not available unless you walked 500 yards to coach C and went to the shop. Spent £18 for two on a couple of sandwiches and drinks and then staggered all the way to the other end of the train.

Advice? Take your own booze and sandwiches or even better, pay standard and sit in coach U which is the last standard coach before First Class.

I walked thru most carriages on the way to the shop and the unreserved coach was the least busy of the lot.

17. Re: Virgin trains 1st class?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:39 am, November 09, 2014

Wolverhampton...
reviews: 3
18. Re: Virgin trains 1st class?

Nothing has changed since the earlier posts, the Virgin First Class service on Sundays is still poor and nothing like weekdays.

Today we (wife and self) travelled return on the Edinburgh/London Euston route for the short journey between Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

The Virgin staff member in the Lounge at Wolverhampton was munching the last of the biscuits and downing a free coffee as we entered. She commented on the Bakewell tarts that had also all gone now. Plenty of fruit left for the five a day addicts!! Couple of teas taken in before we boarded the train.

On the train three Virgin staff seated in the First Class Coach tucking into the goody hamper boxes. No refreshments or anything was offered to us during the whole journey. On return the Lounge at New Street was again bereft of snacks so we settled for a couple of cans of coke.

During the return journey the Virgin staff on board all seemed more focused in the passenger trying to travel without buying a ticket and like the outbound journey offered newly boarded travellers nothing in terms of refreshments.

There is an obvious difference between the weekday commuters (suits) and the weekend travellers (casuals) and similarly a difference between the Virgin staff employed, weekdays up and active weekends laid back and inactive.

Perhaps the difference in service should be reflected in the weekend ticket price?

Smarten the act up Virgin!!!

Scotland
reviews: 2
19. Re: Virgin trains 1st class?

I travelled with my elderly mother on Virgin Trains from Manchester to London on Sunday 1st March 2015.

50 minutes into the journey we had not seen a Virgin Trains member of staff on the train and were wondering what the catering situation was.

The "Train Manager" had made 4 announcements regarding the journey and how people could upgrade to 1st class for just £15 but had not mentioned catering on the train even once.

Eventually, after an hour the "Train Manager" came to check tickets. I asked what the catering situation was and he said there was a shop in coach C, we were in coach H. I asked about the at seat service in first class and he mumbled "someone has not shown up" and walked away.

We did not get a drink on this journey.

That "train manager" was selling 1st class tickets to people whilst knowing there was not first class service - what a bad reflection on Virgin Trains attitude to it's passengers!!

Kent, UK
reviews: 9
20. Re: Virgin trains 1st class?

I'm not sure what "catering" you were expecting to be provided, as Virgin don't offer meals at weekends, only "Snack boxes". And it's made quite clear on their website that at weekends you may not get an at-seat service, and have to go to shop.

It's also clear that the FC offering at weekends is not the same as that during the week.

Also, you buy a FC ticket for the right to sit in the FC carriage. That's what you're paying for.

Reply to: Virgin trains 1st class?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted