We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Savannah, GA
reviews: 8
Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

In March, we are staying in South Kensington area and looking for good & reasonable restaurants and tea rooms - any recommendations?

London, United...
reviews: 24
1. Re: Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

By tea rooms do you mean afternoon tea in a hotel or just a cup of tea somewhere like Starbucks? Try london-eating.com for reviews and price-guides to restaurants. There are lots of good restaurants in your area it just depends on what type of food you like.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
2. Re: Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

If you want a cup of tea and one of the most beautiful pastries you've ever seen or eaten, try Maison Blanc - there's one in Fulham and one on Kensington Church Street. The bread is also amazing.

Or a bit farther afield is the wonderful old Maison Bertaux in Soho, where you can get something savoury (like quiche or filled croissant), a wonderful pastry, and proper tea - loose tea, a strainer, and an extra pot of hot water.

Yum yum.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 26
3. Re: Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

You are not far from Harrods if you want to enjoy high tea in expensive surroundings. Even better is The Orangery is Kensington Palace (a bit further away from where you are staying). Good value in a beautiful setting - Reservations not accepted.

There is a big choice around South Ken. What are you prefernces? In addition to www.london-eating.co.uk you could consider buying The Time Out Eating Guide to London. Not cheap but very detailed.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

london
reviews: 9
4. Re: Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

There is a small Polish restaurant opposite South Ken tube - is it Daquise? - which I used to love going to because it has paintings of London from the 60s on the walls and a great atmosphere. Some of the museums do nice teas as well - the V&A?

Savannah, GA
5. Re: Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

Thank you, english rose, TravellerPlus, adamhornets and hickney for your posts - will check out your recommendations. What about good and reasonable restaurants elsewhere in London. Are there any special dining experiences you would consider "not to miss" while in London? It's our first visit.

Halifax, NS
reviews: 10
6. Re: Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

I don't know about tea at the V & A Museum restaurant, but their lunches are fantastic.

london
7. Re: Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

The Time Out guide to Cheap Eats in London, from large newsagents, is such a good buy. It very rarely misses on its reviews.

Personally, in central London I like the old, inexpensive cafes, particularly Italian ones, that have been around since the 60s, like Pollo on Old Compton Street in Soho. I think the S&M cafes, which take over old cafes, keep the original interiors, then do upmarket versions of trad bangers & mash, apple crumble etc are great. There's one by Spitalfields market, and another in Islington that I go to (Also in Spitalfields Market the Square Pie openair cafe is a good place to try pie and mash.) www.classiccafes.co.uk is a great and funny site that sets the mood.

The cafes around Borough food market (Fri and Sat) are lovely. Also Andrews on Farringdon Road. Kerala Indian restaurant, north of Oxford St, just off Upper Regent St. Leon - a new and very healthy fast-food cafe at the top of Carnaby St - when I'm shopping on Oxford St. If I'm on the South Bank by the London Eye, I'll head back a couple of streets to the Moroccan, Chinese, Thai etc cafes on Lower Marsh Street. The tiny cafes in Neal's Yard in Covent Garden at lunchtime, or Food for Thought on Neal Street.

Savannah, GA
8. Re: Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

Thanks again, hickney and bedlace.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 6
9. Re: Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

Amalfi on Old Compton Street in Soho - 3 visits to London - 3 visits to Amalfi - always good! :-)

london
10. Re: Suggestions for great reasonable restaurants & tea rooms?

Yes, definitely, I agree about Amalfi. Lovely place to hang out on Old Compton St.