We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What was your London highlight

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
What was your London highlight

Hi all! I will be in London next week for the first time. I've done quite a bit of research on what I want to do while I am there but I would love to hear:

From those that have been to London - what was the highlight of your trip?

From those that live in London - what are one or two things that you think a visitor to your city should experience?

Interested in sights, museums, activities, restaurants... really any recommendation you have.

Thanks!

Level Contributor
286 posts
1. Re: What was your London highlight

See Londonwalks.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: What was your London highlight

I think afternoon tea is a quintessential London experience. Depending on budget, you can have a posh all-afternoon experience at one of the big hotels or a cup of tea + scone for £6.50 at the National Gallery cafe or similar or anything in between. I regularly go to tea with a friend who doesn't even drink tea because she loves the food and the experience.

Since you've said you like museums, I would say the British Museum and National Gallery are don't miss attractions. One of my favourite small museums is the Geffrye, which deals with the history of the British urban middle classes. But London is spoilt for choice when it comes to museums and you will almost certainly enjoy yourself at the Tate, Tate Modern, Victoria and Albert, Natural History, Imperial War or Science mueums depending on time available and interests.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
737 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: What was your London highlight

No way it could be just one thing.

Could have spent days in Westminster Abby and the British Museum

Still laughing at my wife, who I had to drag to the Cabinet War Rooms - and them couldn't get her to leave!

Everything about The Tower

Hampton Court Palace (though we didn't see Katherine Howard's ghost)

Evensong at St. Paul's

Just taking long walks around the side streets.

Hope you have a wonderful visit.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
9,294 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: What was your London highlight

Imperial War Museum!

Some people might say Madam Tussauds, but those people are deluded! ;-p

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
55 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: What was your London highlight

I loved everything I did in London, but if I had to choose one thing, it would be the Tower of London. I know it's touristy, but I'm so glad I didn't miss it. Spent a whole moring there. The free tour guided by a Beefeater was a lot of fun, try to do it if you can.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
74 reviews
6. Re: What was your London highlight

Whenever I have visitors I try and get them to (and sometimes accompany them) on:

- a guided walk of the City (Square Mile), London's oldest bit though not obvious on the surface with some surprising, even moving, stories. Go to Guildhall and St Lawrence Jewry and find out why it's built the way it is, for a very particular reason.

- spending time on the South Bank

-allowing time to sit or stroll in the parks. St James's is a personal fave and easy to combine with the Cavalry change, but there are many others

-a trip on the river

-a walk on Hampstead Heath (although Kenwood House is under wraps for major renovation right now)

-sitting on the top deck of a bus from end to end of a route (any route).

-avoiding Oxford Street (not always possible, esp. if teens are involved)

-getting to some 'proper' theatre -from the Royal Opera House to pubs, the Almeida,Hampstead theatre, my own local new one, the Park and many, many others. Save Wicked et al for Las Vegas.

-go to some of the world class classical music on virtually every night somewhere. Go to a concert at St Martin's in the field. Or a sung mass.

-Avoid Covent Garden (not always possible). Bit of theme developing here....

-go to the Tower and look for some specific graffiti. Find out about the unfortunate elephant.

-do a Rib ride

-do afternoon tea but not at one of the tourist traps.

-get lost on a Sunday morning in the streets and allies of the City

-look out for surprising sculpture

-have a cocktail at a posh,stupidly expensive hotel (even if you can't stay there, a cat may look at a king, right?)

-go the Museum of London and the Museum of London Docklands

- go to Dennis Severs' house (by candlelight if near Xmas)

- buy some great shawarma on Edgware Road for a snack lunch

-browse Harrods food halls for same (but don't bother with any of the overpriced restaurants there.

-walk around Soho to get an idea of upcoming movies (many of the Hollywood post production houses are based there). Or it's a good area for some people and star spotting.

-do one of the alternative art tours of the East end (street art) and some interesting social history while you're at it.

-go to Tooting or Southall and get a decent curry

- find a bench or seat by St Paul's or on the river and watch the world, literally, walk by.

-don't bother with the Eye. If you can manage the steps at St Paul's do that, or get the lift at Westminster Cathedral (about £5).

-

No. California
Level Contributor
637 posts
7. Re: What was your London highlight

On my first trip to London it was raining down buckets so my visit to the Tower was not enjoyable. The 2nd visit [with son and grandson] was wonderful because I have read so much English history and my [13 at the time] grandson was enthralled. Also I had always wanted to visit Hampton Court and was definitely not disappointed! All of London is quite interesting and filled with so many wonderful places to see.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
8. Re: What was your London highlight

Lion King was a highlight for us. A show that all ages can enjoy but also the atmosphere before and after the show around Covent garden. It is a very unique city.

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
37 reviews
9. Re: What was your London highlight

The highlight of any of our trips is usually the trip to the theatre,We always tend to go on the last night of our stay as a fitting way to end our visit

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: What was your London highlight

Thanks for the great responses! You've reinforced some of the things I already have planned (afternoon tea at The Dorchester, British Museum, Tower of London) and given me some things to look more into.

I'll now go back to counting the days until we leave...