We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Card or travelpass?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
australia
reviews: 11
Oyster Card or travelpass?

I am finding the London transport site really confusing (reminds me of trying to work out mobile phone plans!), hoping someone can help me out by recommending which public transport pass would be best - Oyster Card or travel Pass?

We will be in London for 5 1/2 days. We are staying in zone 2 or 3. we will be out everyday using public transport to see the sights. We are 3 adults and 3 children, I understand the youngest will travel free but the other two are 14 and 16. Also can you use these cards to get from Heathrow in to town by tube?

I really appreciate any help on this!!

14 replies to this topic
London, United...
1. Re: Oyster Card or travelpass?

I would suggest you get an oyster card as I find them slightly easier to use than a paper travel pass.

You can either get a travel card put on to your Oyster or your can use pay as you go.

Even though you are here for 5.5 days it might work out better to get a week travel card.

Adult week travel card:

Zone 1/Zone 1-2: £30.40

Zone 1-3: £35.60

Ages 11-15 travel card:

Zone 1/Zone 1-2: £15.20

Zone 1-3: £17.80

Ages 16-18 travel card:

Zone 1/Zone 1-2: £15.20

Zone 1-3: £17.80

If you use pay as you go on an oyster in 1 day it will only take off a max of £8.40/£10.60 (Adult and 16-18) or £4.20 (ages 11-15) (when travelling in zone 1-3)

Prices can be found here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

Ages 5-10 get free travel when travelling with an adult

You will be able to get a travel card on your arrival at Heathrow, what you can do is speak to a person on the counter and explain what you will be doing during your stay and they will be able to tell you what is the best option.

Let me know if that helps or you have any more questions

Hampshire, England.
reviews: 6
2. Re: Oyster Card or travelpass?

The above answer will be different if you want the 2 for 1 offers:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c133479/Lon…

Lanzarote, Spain
Destination Expert
for York
reviews: 27
3. Re: Oyster Card or travelpass?

First do you want to take advantage of 2-4-1 offers (see top right of this forum)? If you do then you'll need paper travel cards.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
reviews: 52
4. Re: Oyster Card or travelpass?

Oyster Card is a delivery system, nothing more. It's a smart card which holds cash credit and/or a season ticket. As said above, the question is whether you'll use the offers you can get with a ticket issued from a National Rail station.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
5. Re: Oyster Card or travelpass?

Where have you booked to stay in zone 2 or 3? Will you leave London by air (from LHR) or depart by rail? As others have said, do you wish to use the two for one offers? If so, everyone in your party will need Travelcards, incluing the youngest.

Seven day cards will provide the best value for a six day stay. You may use PAYG on Oyster to travel from LHR to your destintation if you wish, but cash singles may be an easier option. Let us know more about your needs, please.

australia
6. Re: Oyster Card or travelpass?

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I don't think we'll need the 2 -4- 1 offers as we will not be going to many of those attractions. We are flying in and out of Heathrow and renting a house for the week in the south east- it seems right on the edge of zone 2 and 3, so I'm not sure which would be our closest station (hopefully zone 2 if we go with a travel card!). We were planning to catch the Heathrow Connect service to paddington and on from there - I think we have to pay extra for part of that trip, is that right? Is it easy enough to purchase cards at Heathrow or should we try to buy them from a retailer before we arrive in the UK?

Lanzarote, Spain
Destination Expert
for York
reviews: 27
7. Re: Oyster Card or travelpass?

Don't purchase before you arrive. There's no advantage and infact it'll cost you more. You can buy oystercards at heathrow at the attached underground stations. Not sure where you're going in south east london but paddington may not be a great idea as it's on the edge of the other side of london. If you post what street this house is on then we can better advise as tube may well be quicker all the way.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
8. Re: Oyster Card or travelpass?

If your accommodation is in the SE then it is rather perverse to go to somewhere in the NW first

So rather than dragging this out over a dozen more posts just tell us where EXACTLY you are staying, how many there are of you and the time and date of arrival in the UK

australia
9. Re: Oyster Card or travelpass?

Gee Alanrow, that was a bit uncalled for. You don't HAVE to respond to posts if they annoy you so much, you know.

australia
10. Re: Oyster Card or travelpass?

Thanks Richt71. I will wait til we arrive to purchase. Thanks for the heads up about paddington, I just looked briefly on the Heathrow website and saw that was where the airport services terminated. I will of course check out a map before heading to Brockley! cheers

Reply to: Oyster Card or travelpass?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted