We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shard Tower, worth the cost.

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
reviews: 2
Shard Tower, worth the cost.

The last time I was in London the Shard wasn't built. I am debating about splurging to tickets, is it worth while?

Thanks.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 159
11. Re: Shard Tower, worth the cost.

I don't know if it's worth it but i'm planning on going up in December, i like when cities open new attractions.

Tonbridge, United...
reviews: 138
12. Re: Shard Tower, worth the cost.

For us it was worth it. I have done it twice actually. The first time in bright sunshine in April and the second time I accompanied a friend on a showery day last month.

It is worth taking binoculars if you have them. Unless there is fog or the cloud is particularly low you will get a good view.

Edited: 10:01 am, September 11, 2013
england
13. Re: Shard Tower, worth the cost.

Worth it in my book too. Was up there in August and it was breathtaking. Was not expecting too much from it to be honest but am going back in December to see the night time view.

Edited: 10:58 am, September 11, 2013
London
reviews: 25
14. Re: Shard Tower, worth the cost.

I've done the London Eye 3 or 4 times with visitors since it was built, and the Shard for the first time this morning.

The Shard is easily the best The Eye at half the height gives only a limited view of the buildings and river in the immediate vicinity, and you are regimented through at a fixed rate.

The Shard on the other hand gives an overall panorama of the 500+ square miles of London, where you can see the bends in the river, the railways, roads and other infrastructure that makes a great city function. You get really close up views of the City of London and the new architecture of the financial centre, then a slightly more distant view of the City of Westminster with parliament etc. Then you can trace your way around all the other areas of London, picking out landmarks as far away as Wembley or Windsor Castle (look down on the Eye from twice it's height) and so on.

All this at your own pace - plenty of time for photos - we stayed nearly two hours and there wasn't any pressure to move on.

Edited: 12:58 pm, September 12, 2013
London, Canada
reviews: 2
15. Re: Shard Tower, worth the cost.

Great feedback, thanks.

Will wait to buy my ticket once I'm in London as there is no point of going up if it is raining.

I won't have internet access so will buy a ticket at the ticket counter.

reviews: 47
16. Re: Shard Tower, worth the cost.

No. London is a very low city, the architecture is more spectacular close up. Not from miles away looking down. It would be poor value at half the price.

London, United...
reviews: 20
17. Re: Shard Tower, worth the cost.

It's not about architecture, (although you get a stunning view of the towers in the city) it's about getting a birds eye view of London. If you don't want to see it, don't pay the money.

18. Re: Shard Tower, worth the cost.

But for that, its poor for the average tourist as its not close to places they will know. So apart the Tower of London, HMS Belfast and Tower Bridge most tourists will look into the distance for places they know.

Tonbridge, United...
reviews: 138
19. Re: Shard Tower, worth the cost.

Have you actually been up it GEJP? You can see plenty of London's popular sights from the top without looking way into the distance. I found it fascinating to see where they were relative to each other from a bird's eye view.

It is astonishing how small some things look, especially things I have been up and admired the view from. The monument, for example.

Way in the distance you can look out for the stadiums and even the Dartford Crossing, but there is plenty close up. I love the architecture of the City and have spent many a Sunday roaming the square mile admiring it without the traffic and the people and the view from up here is quite different.

I am not sure why I decided to rise to your provocative comments... I think we have to agree to have different opinions. :o)

20. Re: Shard Tower, worth the cost.

Yes, I have. Its efficient, quick and hassle free in terms of its operation. But ridiculously over priced.

You and I and other locals might appreciate the breadth of London, and you point about is stadiums is valid, but it highlights that it is far better for locals than tourists. For views of tourist London, its not as good because of its location. For the sights THEY will recognise, you see far less. If you compare it to alternatives, its absurdly priced. You can go along the Thames on the clippers for example, for a quarter of the price, see a much more impressive view of major sights, including many of the major tourists ones, and its a longer experience.

Just because someone doesnt bend over in worship about it like you, doesnt mean they havent been. People are entitled to different opinions