We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 87
Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

I saw a plane,very low, banking down towards the river, presumably going for a landing at LCY or otherwise perhaps being used for a photo shoot . It looked WWII vintage, had an unusual double horizontal tail plane. Does anyone know what it might have been?

Islington
reviews: 3
11. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

I just assumed it was Superman.

London
reviews: 30
12. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

I know my aircraft reasonably well, can't think of any WWII aircraft which fit that description. Sounds like a silly question, but what colour was it? (Helps to narrow down whether civilian or miltary, and if so, what airforce).

London, United...
13. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

I would say what it looked most similar too was a DC-3 Dakota, but not exactly. Googleing pictures of a DC-3 and looking at a picture from my phone the main difference is that the back edge of the wings on the DC-3 are at a straight 45 degree angle to the body of the plane, and the front edge had an angle to it. The plane yesterday had an angled back edge and straight front edge. Otherwise they seem pretty similar, mid-sized dual engine prop plane with the engines set relatively close to the body.

London, United...
14. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

I would say what it looked most similar too was a DC-3 Dakota, but not exactly. Googleing pictures of a DC-3 and looking at a picture from my phone the main difference is that the back edge of the wings on the DC-3 are at a straight 45 degree angle to the body of the plane, and the front edge had an angle to it. The plane yesterday had an angled back edge and straight front edge. Otherwise they seem pretty similar, mid-sized dual engine prop plane with the engines set relatively close to the body.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 36
15. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

Lockheed 10?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lockheed+10&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RWswUp-GD5Dn7AaL-YHoDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i%7C13%3Bd%7CKllOXbElN73jnM%3A

Dallas, Texas
16. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

This link for the above Lockheed 10: http://tinyurl.com/ofz95nq

Dallas, Texas
17. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

Only one of these ever built and it was scrapped: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capelis_XC-12

London, United...
reviews: 13
18. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

This article was on a local papers website today, might not be what you saw as it doesn't have the twin wings - but could explain why

croydonguardian.co.uk/news/…

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 36
19. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

@ TexScot11

Thanks , my copying and paste link didnt work so well done on providing a better one

Cheers

Kent
reviews: 12
20. Re: Unusual plane low above London (Moorgate area) 5pm today

It was definitely neither of the ones two in posts 17 and 18. This aircraft had double tailplane fins stacked horizonally on a single fuselage, very similar to the one in halwimsey's except I thought it only had two engines not four. I'm usually quite good at identifying planes but this has got me stumped. It was quite a dark plain kharki colour underside and reminded me of WW2 bomber shape but maybe a bit smaller. Don't think I will be able to get to Lashenden this week but will definitely ask as soon as I can.